Director, Corporate Strategy
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
The Okta Corporate Strategy function is part of the Corporate Development team and is focused on high impact strategies that support growth and our rapidly increasing scale. Our projects focus on what moves the needle for the company, including top-line growth, market expansion, M&A, and internal operational initiatives.
Okta is in the midst of becoming a first-class cloud and a fully enabled platform company and must continuously articulate and adjust its live strategy. The Okta Corporate Strategy team will play a critical role in articulating and structuring Okta’ strategy, assessing growth options and implementing new business formats (such as the Okta Incubation Fund, designed and implemented by the Corporate Strategy team). This team will also map and build points-of-view on the identity and access management market and its adjacencies, assessing each of its segment’s TAMs, growth rates and strategic potential for Okta’s entry or expansion.
The Director, Corporate Strategy will work in close partnership with functional executives across the organization. You will be expected to work on projects that can range from market expansion strategies, to M&A and partnership evaluations, to cross functional initiatives. You will work closely with stakeholders from the product, development, and sales organization to understand the evolving market dynamics relevant to Okta. Your work will give you direct exposure to the executive team and contribute to our overall strategy and help drive its successful execution.
On a day-to-day basis, the Director, Corporate Strategy will structure strategy assessments and presentations, build economic models in Excel, build a structured understanding of Okta’s broad competitive playing field and its segments, on a qualitative and quantitative basis and will also help to organize and coordinate the implementation of strategic initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have exposure to the cloud software space, and experience as a team member in complex strategic projects with large technology companies, inclusive of corporate and business unit strategy, driving business and technical alignment, and communicating with both internal and external executives.
This position reports to the Vice President, Corporate Strategy. This role is full-time and will ideally be based out of our San Francisco headquarters.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Play a key role helping to structure complex problems, develop hypotheses, conduct analyses and drive actionable recommendations through a data driven process
- Help to develop compelling strategy recommendations, structured and communicated in high-quality output in oral, presentation or written formats
- Develop over time a thorough understanding of Okta’s competitive space, provide thought leadership and help to influence decision making within executive audiences
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3+ years of work experience at a top strategy consulting firm
- 5+ years of experience as a team member helping to design, manage, and execute strategic projects with large enterprise technology companies including but not limited to market expansion, market segmentation, M&A, strategic partnerships
- MBA business degree required, STEM’s or Economics undergraduate degree a plus
- The ideal candidate will have expertise in the enterprise software/ SaaS industry, experience with cloud software vendors and their strategies/business models
- Effective communicator, able to convey complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing; comfortable in business and technical discussions
- Experience in building trusting relationships and influencing others
- Collaborative team player who is also an independent thinker
- Self-starter who thrives and can multitask in fast-paced and often ambiguous environments
- Passion for technology, the enterprise software space, startups, learning new things