Principal Software Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Are you a seasoned, Engineering leader who wants to build a modern, big data & intelligence platform for one of Microsoft’s largest and most recognizable consumer products : Outlook?
Come be part of the Microsoft Communications and Time Management (C+T) Data Platform Team. We design, build and operate one of the largest near-real time data pipelines in the world, covering nearly a billion users and devices across the globe for their communication, calendar and people management needs spanning windows , mac, mobile and web .
Our big data and insights drives all of Outlook’s Key OKRs and metrics that enables executive leadership to drive product growth strategy. We also empower the outlook engineering and busines teams with rich product telemetry and intelligence, rapid experimentation, and robust privacy compliant user data sets to experiment and deploy new ideas, measure engagement, model usage , and monitor product health continuously.
We are looking for someone who is hands-on technically excellent, a seasoned people leader who loves to hire and build teams, and is passionate about driving big data platforms and intelligence solutions that are impactful in real world products to enable businesses to optimize and grow their offerings for customers around the world.
As a Engineering leader on our team, you’ll be responsible for defining technical strategy, providing hands on design and architecture leadership, hiring and growing people and working with executives and partners to bring scalable, agile and 24x7 robust solutions to life.
Specific areas we work on include :
- Authoring and operation of Big Data ETL pipelines,
- Defining privacy and security solutions for customer data incl GDPR
- Automating sophisticated data science and machine learning algorithms
- Defining & building live metrics, dashboards and reports for our leadership and product teams
- Analytics for user behavior, including segmentation models and predicting trends (growth models)
- Enabling rapid experimentation of new product initiatives
- Identifying pain points of our users and engineering teams that will help us move the needle on the business faster
Help set the technical strategy and roadmap of our data infrastructure
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field such as Statistics or Data Science
- 5+ years of technical leadership and people management,
- 10+ year of experience designing, developing and deploying production-quality software at scale
- Very strong programming skills in at least one high level language: Python, Java, C++, C#
- Experience building large real-time data pipelines and/or web services
- Experience working with Microsoft technologies COSMOS /Scope, Aria and Kusto is a plus
- Experience building data models and performing complex queries using SQL
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to break down complex cross functional technical problems
Strong written and verbal communication and demonstrated ability to influence across organizational boundaries
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.