Data & Applied Scientist
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Do you have a passion for data, modeling and optimization? Do you want to help Microsoft engineer an industry-leading Intelligent Supply Chain? We’re looking for a Data Scientist with Supply Chain Modeling and Analytics experience who can develop and deploy advanced analytical models to optimize our end-to-end Devices Supply Chain.
At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. The Devices Supply Chain organization is critical to delivering on this mission, with responsibility for the end-to-end supply chain for Microsoft’s vast array of hardware products including the entire line of Surface devices and accessories, Xbox consoles and accessories, PC Hardware, next-generation products like Holo-lens, and more.
As part of the Devices Supply Chain organization, the Data Science team is leveraging data and modeling in new ways to increase visibility & transparency, improve insights and decisions, and optimize service levels, costs and customer experience. We develop and deploy machine learning and deep learning models, statistical methods and other advanced analytical techniques to enable a variety of supply chain capabilities. For example, we forecast demand for all Microsoft devices globally, enabling our supply chain to match supply with demand and deliver a great customer experience while minimizing inventory investment.
As a Data Scientist – Supply Chain Modeling & Analysis, you will:
- Partner with business stakeholders, PMs, Engineers and other Data Scientists to understand business context and translate business needs into analytical and technical requirements.
- Design, develop, implement and maintain analytical models and solutions using Optimization, Simulation, Machine Learning and other advanced analytical capabilities to support supply chain objectives.
- Conduct complex Supply Chain analyses and communicate & visualize results to drive business insights and support more effective decision-making.
- Support business teams as a subject-matter expert on usage of analytical models.
- Identify and introduce industry best-practice techniques for Supply Chain modeling and analytics.
- Work independently to plan and execute projects and communicate status, risks and issues.
- Bachelors degree or higher in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Supply Chain Analytics OR 5+ years experience applying advanced analytics in a Supply Chain context, preferably in the high-tech sector
- 3+ years experience applying advanced analytics in a Supply Chain context, preferably in the high-tech sector.
- Demonstrated experience building and using Optimization Models (e.g., linear programming, mixed-integer programming) and Simulation Models (e.g., discrete event and Monte Carlo simulation) to solve complex supply chain problems.
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Proficient in data acquisition and manipulation with SQL.
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as R, Python or Scala.
- Masters Degree in Operations Research or Industrial Engineering is a plus.
- Hands-on experience working in a Supply Chain Planning or Operations role.
- Practical understanding of Multi-Echelon Inventory Optimization (MEIO) techniques.
- Experience with Supply Chain Network Design.
- Machine Learning experience.
- Experience developing Demand Forecasting models.
- Experience working with cloud-based technologies and big data solutions (e.g., Hadoop, Spark).
- Experience building solutions with PowerBI or another business intelligence platform.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.