Staff Software Engineer, Workflows
Location: San Jose, California, Washington
Job Type: Full time
TLDR; Love programming languages? Would you like to build a new one?
Okta is seeking a highly driven software engineer to lead our extensibility team that ensures developers have an amazing experience as they build with Okta workflows. We are the team that builds and runs the Okta Workflows product that our customers, including some of the world’s largest organizations use to quickly, and with no-code build complex, secure and scalable workflows that enable identity centric scenarios across SaaS applications. This team is responsible for solving some of the most difficult problems at Okta while building secure, scalable, and robust workflow services.
The Extensibility team enables Okta customers extend and customize the platform’s behavior through webhooks, inline callouts, and other connections to third party systems. They also own the integration into our Workflows platform, enabling Okta customers to add custom logic and integration without needing to run or host their own code. From hobbyist developers to our largest Enterprise customers, our users need to deliver an ever-growing catalog of extensibility points, high scale and reliability, and a great developer experience.
You will share our passion and pride in designing for scale, reliability and performance using industry best practices to deliver high-quality software. We run fast and flexible, have a weekly agile release cycle and foster individual ownership. We expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating projects, big problems to solve, new and emerging technologies and the opportunity to contribute to the growth of a company that is enabling any company to adopt any technology.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage with and analyze the Workflow service to ensure high reliability and bring new ideas to the product road map.
- Work with engineering management to scope and plan engineering efforts especially as they involve performance.
- Design and implement core, high-performance, scalable software components and microservices in Rust on Kubernetes.
- Interface with QA, Product Management, Technical Support, Documentation and UX teams,
- Investigate and drive live site issues as appropriate.
- Design, implement and test new frameworks/services that center around performance, scalability and efficiency
- Analyze performance metrics and logs to identify inefficiencies and opportunities to improve scalability and performance
- Manage/tune application level service protection settings such as rate limits, job throttles, and batch sizes
- Collaborate across various teams and be a champion for Performance
- Build systems to find inefficient code and either optimize it or work with the code's owner to address the issues.
- Maintain and enhance our performance monitoring and analysis telemetry, frameworks and tools
- Work with customers and customer support to analyze customer use cases to address scale and performance demands
- Track performance profiles over time and investigate changes therein
- Participate in a Performance rotation that investigates critical performance related customer escalations
- Test-driven development, design and code reviews
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 8+ years of software development building highly-reliable, mission-critical software
- Live Site experience
- Java and either Rust or C++
- Designing and building multi-tenant cloud scale systems
- Operating systems design and distributed systems design
- Experience with implementing a compiler or interpreter
- Experience in compiled programming language concepts i.e scheduling, type systems, code optimization, etc.
- Experience with Redis, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Storm, Kubernetes
Education and Training:
- BS Computer Science or related field.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.