Principal Site Reliability Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Intelligent Conversations and Communications Cloud (IC3) powers billions of real-time customer conversations across Microsoft’s first-party (Teams, Skype) and second-party (Dynamics) solutions. IC3 enables reliable and high-quality audio/video calling, meeting, and messaging services that work every time, from anywhere seamlessly across all customer touchpoints. IC3 makes conversations on our platform more intelligent in real-time empowering the best-in-class productivity tools for the modern workplace where every call, meeting or chat makes the next one better.
At IC3 Carrier Operations, our mission is to partner with our global network of telco carriers and provide a world class, carrier-grade PSTN service for our customers where every call gets connected, stays connected and is delivered with the highest quality each time. The Carrier Operations Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team provides leadership, direction and accountability for network integration, system design, and end-to-end performance. We identify and deliver service improvements using expertise in services engineering, systems, networks and automation know-how and reliability and dependency analysis.
We are looking for a highly driven Engineering Manager to lead our Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams in North America. In this role, you will be responsible for leading the teams charged with driving high call quality, reliability, availability, and performance across the PSTN ecosystem with a focus on proactive issue identification and resolution.
- Providing deep technical leadership to teams of passionate and skilled engineers focused on improving the reliability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of PSTN services powering cloud communications.
- Owning availability, reliability, quality performance and targets for PSTN services.
- Creating a strong focus around proactive issue identification and mitigation by partnering with infrastructure component owners, Carrier partners and Data Science/ML engineering teams.
- Upholding our high organizational standard of great employee and team satisfaction
- Participating in recruiting, mentoring and developing a team of experienced SRE engineers.
- 5+ years of Site Reliability, Systems or Software Engineering management experience on large scale cloud or telco services.
- 5+ years of experience shipping distributed systems, services and highly available infrastructure.
- Experience designing, building, servicing, and driving ongoing improvement of service infrastructure & systems.
- Proven track record of improving reliability, availability and performance of cloud services.
- Excellence in written and verbal communication and ability to partner for success across all levels of organization and technical depths.
- A customer-first and growth mindset to uphold our north star and culture.
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in computer science or related studies
- Experience with VoIP, PSTN or other voice services highly desired
- Software development expertise in programming languages (C#, C++, Python, Java, et al)
- Experience with Microsoft Azure, Azure DevOps, ServiceNow, Microsoft Dynamics or FLOW
- Expertise with PowerBI – create data models, write queries, creating powerful visualizations
- Experience with T-SQL, Kusto Query Language (KQL), Azure Log Analytics, Cosmos
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.