Researcher – Reinforcement Learning – Microsoft Research
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
Call for Researchers in Reinforcement Learning or Related Areas
Locations open for consideration: New York, Redmond, Montreal, Boston, Cambridge UK
We want to enable the next generation of machine learning using interactive reinforcement-based approaches to solve real-world problems.
We seek outstanding applicants in many locations for full-time positions in reinforcement learning and related areas such as natural language processing, computer vision, and dialog systems among others. We particularly seek applicants with expertise that is complementary to the rest of our team and expands the scope and effectiveness of reinforcement learning approaches to both new and existing domains. We encourage candidates with both theoretical and applied interests to apply.
Microsoft Research offers an exhilarating and supportive environment for cutting-edge, multidisciplinary research, both theoretical and applied, with access to an extraordinary diversity of big and small data sources, an open publications policy, and close links to top academic institutions around the world. We seek applicants with the passion and ability to craft and pursue an independent research program, including a strong publication record at top research venues.
The Microsoft Research reinforcement learning group includes Alekh Agarwal, Kamil Ciosek, Hal Daumé III, Sam Devlin, Debadeepta Dey, Miroslav Dudík, Matthew Hausknecht, Katja Hofmann, Sham Kakade, Akshay Krishnamurthy, John Langford, Dipendra Misra, Ida Momennejad, Robert Schapire, Harm van Seijen, Adith Swaminathan, Siddhartha Sen and Cyril Zhang.
As a team, we are committed to building an inclusive, diverse and pluralistic research environment. In keeping with this, Microsoft Research is a place where ALL people are able to do their very best work.
As a researcher, you can define your own research agenda, driving forward an effective program of basic, fundamental, and applied research. In addition to driving your own research agenda, we highly value collaboration and building new ideas with members of the group and others. You have the direct opportunity to realize your ideas in products and services used worldwide.
- PhD (completed or close to completion) in computer science, electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics, or a related field.
- A research program demonstrated by 4 or more journal and conference publications in prestigious venues. Examples include but are not limited to: NeurIPS, ICML, COLT, UAI, AISTATS, AAAI, IJCAI, AAMAS, ICLR, ICRA, IROS, CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, ACL, EMNLP, EACL, NAACL, TACL, ICAPS, KDD, WSDM, WWW, JMLR, Ann Stats, JASA, TPAMI, IEEE Trans Image Proc, IEEE Trans Signal Proc, IEEE Trans Info Theory, Mathematical Programming, SIAM Journal on Optimization.
- Research agenda in reinforcement learning or a related (or complimentary) field
- Significant participation and activity in the scientific community on program committees, editorial boards, inclusion events, etc.
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment
In your application, please provide:
- A CV which lists all peer-reviewed publications and major projects.
- At least 3 reference letters
- A Research statement that outlines your research achievements and agenda.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.