Senior Software Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Join our team and make the world better for developers!
We are building the Developer Relations dream team in Azure engineering. Our global team is maniacal about making the world amazing for developers of all backgrounds. We're excited to support and contribute to open source platforms, tools, and processes. We’re spreading awareness of Azure and enabling developers to do what they love; write, code, and learn.
This is the heart and soul of reinventing Microsoft’s relationship with developers. Sound exciting? This is your opportunity to join and be a key part of our mission! Learn more here: aka.ms/awesomejobs
The work our team does allows Developer Relations products to be accessible around the world. Working closely with development teams, our engineering system supports up to 14 builds and over 300 branches to bring the best developer experiences regardless of location or language. We are looking for someone with that same drive, energy and passion to build out our engineering system and process to continue improving our platform for all developers.
This is a highly collaborative role, requiring strong technical acuity, that will be working closely with stakeholders, development and International teams across the company. Our goal is to translate and deploy services within days, of the highest quality and performance. In this role, you would be responsible for increasing the availability, reliability, scalability, and performance of our services-oriented architecture to achieve that goal. With a particular focus on code instrumentation, performance and operational health, in this role, you would utilize that information to further automate our engineering system to eliminate manual efforts that introduce defects.
Bringing localization across the Microsoft Developer Relations products allows us to be part of many incredible projects, and work with teams across the company and world. We value unique perspectives, backgrounds and ideas as we know that brings greater value to the entire team and our services. As we empower each team member to lead their service, we encourage creativity, ideas for new innovative solutions and always enjoy working together as a team.
- Drive efficiency & consolidation in our current disparate workflow & tools.
- Fully own the delivery of features in our localization platform.
- Deliver solutions to our engineering team that allow us to scale the service and bring us closer to spontaneous translation of our services.
- Collaborate across teams, levels of management and development teams to onboard new projects into the localization workflows. Ensuring that blockers to localization flow are removed.
- Read, write, configure code, and design for end-to-end service performance and operational health to identify and address failing points throughout the system.
- Analyze real-time and trending service behavior through service performance telemetry.
- Lead and represent the service in backlog discussions & standups to establish appropriate prioritization of engineering requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related sciences or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years in service support or software engineer role
- 3+ years - Strong ability to implement operational efficiencies through scripting, i.e. automation
- 3+ years - Proficient understanding of Microsoft products, software lifecycle methodology. Moderate to deep knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory Services (Active Directory Certificate Services, Domain Services, Federation Services)
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrated expertise in web services, virtualization and cloud concepts
- Familiarity & Experience in many of the following: - REST - JSON - XML - MySQL/SQL Server/SQL Azure/NOSQL - C#/Java - Powershell/Bash- Windows Server/Azure/AWS
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and passion to solve hard problems as part of a team
- Experience in automation, specifically related to deployment, recovery, or other manual processes
- Experience using service performance telemetry to understand throughput, limitations and constraints
- Experience in defining cost per transaction or per user, based on service configuration
- Experience identifying services appropriate for hosting on PaaS and IaaS offerings, as well as migration to internal or external SaaS providers
- Specialized knowledge of software & network components such as CDNs
- Experience in infrastructure and configuration as code, as well as service auto-scale capabilities
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.