Principal Design Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to be at the heart of Microsoft’s massive digital and cultural transformation? Are you a diehard UXer who thrives on tackling tough challenges? Are you passionate about people and want to work in a vibrant Studio where design and research work closely together? Then check us out!
Core Services Engineering & Operations (CSEO) builds the products and services that Microsoft runs on and our CSEO Studio team is playing a critical role by bringing together expertise in design, research, and accessibility to create experiences that empower our fellow employees to achieve more in their lives. Together with our partners, we’re raising the bar of user experience so we can all make a difference at Microsoft.
We are seeking a Principal Design Manager for the Customer Success and Consulting services teams who will play a critical role in the product making process and inspire the team to be driver for change. This person is well versed in all stages of product development cycle for complex enterprise solutions, has a solid user centered and product design process, and has a diverse and extensive portfolio. Leading by example is a critical skill for this role, someone who wants to lead great design, and inspire our design team and our organization. This role will need to be creative in their problem-solving solutions, articulate a strong design point-of-view and requires people management experience/skills.
- Define and drive people management responsibilities for individual designers including being responsible for their professional growth
- Lead by example and inspire designers to create the right design solutions in known or highly ambiguous situations
- Work closely and build deep engagements with partners - engineering, PM, Data, and Researchers and be a strong Experience stakeholder
- Create an invigorating and positive work environment / culture
- Understand the Business & Technological constrains and how that impacts design
- Be a strong voice for the user and ensure Inclusive Design practices are implemented
- Lead design team to deliver great results that are simple, connected, and intelligent experiences that make our sellers and partner’s lives better
- Effectively communicate design strategies, concepts and solutions to peers, partners, and stakeholders throughout the organization
- Work closely with PM, Research, and design counterparts in global teams to align on planning and execution priorities
- As Design lead, efficiently manage resources, schedules, process, and priorities of design activities for several features and initiatives
- 10+ years of relevant design experience with proven success in working with partners and customers
- 3-5 years of experience with designing for complex problem spaces
- 5+ years of experience in leading design teams or design projects
- Bachelor's/Master’s degree in product design, HCI, interaction design, communication design, architecture, or equivalent experience
- Strong design capabilities, including composition, layout information hierarchy, typography, color, animation, motion, or industrial design.
- Eye and passion for product quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail
- Innate curiosity, data driven, and ability to self-start in an ambiguous and rapidly changing startup-like environment, growth mindset
- Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood diagrams, wireframes, concept maps, prototypes, interaction guidelines and other related artifacts with a strong interaction point-of-view
- Experience shipping innovative and complex mobile, web or software products while meeting and exceeding milestone deadlines
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to think strategically and agilely
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively cross functionally with other teams (Engineering, Research, Program Management & Marketing)
- Great written and verbal communication/presentation skills
- Experience with complex business processes is a plus
A portfolio demonstrating breadth and creativity and proven experience in telling stories, building UI models, generating detailed wire frames, developing prototypes and delivering comprehensive specifications. Please indicate your specific roles and contributions for each project submitted as part of the portfolio.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.