Principal Software Engineering Manager, Azure
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Job Type: Full time
Interested in a start-up experience that is fast-paced, exciting while also will give you tremendous learning opportunities? The Azure Dedicated team (AzD) is one of the fastest growing parts of the Azure group and is responsible for expanding the capabilities of the Azure cloud in several areas. This team is a great place to grow your career while working on important initiatives that are key to the future growth of the public cloud. We are a fun-loving, diverse team that values teamwork & collaboration and provides opportunities for mentorship and career growth.
We are looking for a Principal Engineering Manager, based in Atlanta GA, who will be responsible for the portal user experience, developer experience and integration into the Microsoft commerce systems for various products in Azure Dedicated, including Azure VMware Solution. You will be responsible for engineering execution, system architecture, live-site operations, and quality for scenarios such as:
Improving the user experience in the Azure portal for customers to create and manage their VMware based Software Defined Datacenters.
Improving the developer experience via SDKs across the API surface of Azure VMware solution.
Integrating and innovating with the Microsoft commerce systems to enable greater consumption of Azure.
The ideal candidate should be a self-starter with a strong work ethic and should demonstrate a growth mindset. We value those who have a thoughtful point of view, love to collaborate, and contribute to the success of others. If you’re a strong communicator willing to roll-up your sleeves and solve fun technical challenges with a strong engineering team on your side, then this is the right role for you!
- Provide technical leadership and management of a team of software engineers.
- Coach and guide your team to ensure that we successfully deliver on our accountabilities to customers.
- Responsible for creating and fostering a healthy, collaborative, inclusive and supportive team culture.
- Work hands-on with your team and our customers through design and implementation, ensuring great architectural decisions and engineering practices, and some coding along the way.
- Staunch advocate for quality and improving engineering fundamentals.
- Responsbile for engineering execution for your team.
- Work with your peers to plan and prioritize what is important for your team and our organization.
- Work with other managers across our team to continuously improve our engineering process and technical capabilities.
- Develop deep relationships and exhibit technical leadership across teams within Microsoft and with open-source communities.
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- 5+ years of people management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- Solid software engineering foundation and architecture design principles.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Curiosity to understand how things work and ability to sweat the details when needed.
- Elevated interpersonal skills and ability to foster positive relationships within and outside the team.
- Experience working with remote teams is preferred.
- Prior experience working on cloud technologies.
- Prior experience being accountable for running production systems.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.