Principal Software Engineering Manager
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Are you passionate about artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning, and high load systems? Are you empathetic, curious, and enthusiastic about transferring your ideas into solutions for some of the most challenging technical problems of our generation with a belief that data driven processes lead to great products?
Join us! In MSAI, (Search, Assistant, and Intelligence) you will design, develop, and deploy large scale services and platforms to serve trillions of requests per month. You will collaborate with teams across O365, Azure and Microsoft Research who are building the newest, most compelling intelligent applications in the world. We are a close-knit team of highly accomplished, deeply technical engineers and data scientists focused on delivering cutting edge technologies that impact hundreds of millions of users for Microsoft 365. We are an infrastructure team working on deep learning inference and natural language understanding services for O365.
Microsoft enables digital transformation for the era of an intelligent cloud and an intelligent edge. Its mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
As engineering manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of software engineers building an inference infrastructure to power large scale O365 text understanding scenarios (e.g., SmartReply, Enterprise Search, FocusedInbox).
In this role, your responsibilities will include all the below:
- Lead the team to consistently deliver reliable, performant and high-quality inference scenarios to customers.
- Help to define the technical direction of the team and drive the actual architecture/design/implementations with special emphasis on ensuring craftsmanship, quality, and performance through sound engineering processes.
- Establish team rhythm of business and communication flows with partners.
- Actively work with peers, partners, and teams across the world to drive collaboration, planning, and technical direction.
- Develop and grow talents.
- Support learning and innovation.
- Support recruiting efforts and ensure we are bringing top talents to the team.
We celebrate team cultural values of being:
- Open to listening to and incorporating feedback, bringing people together to brainstorm and communicate ideas.
- Customer-obsessed, both for the engineers relying on what Inference team delivers and for our external customers.
- Support continual learning.
- Extensive writing and communication to support transparency culture.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, EE or equivalent
- 8+ years of experience in designing, developing, and shipping software.
- 2+ years of experience managing engineering team of 7+ people.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with excellent interpersonal communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong design, programming, and algorithm design skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the success of others. As a leader in the team, you will be expected to mentor and manage others.
- Quick learner who thrives in an ambiguous environment.
- Experience in natural language processing, machine leaning, deep learning or accelerated hardware area is a big bonus.
- Prior experience with development in large low-latency high-volume services, experience with service-oriented development and cloud-based systems.
- Enjoy learning and ramping up on new technologies quickly.
- Passion for data-driven decision making.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.