Principal Group Engineering Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
The Office Experience Organization (OXO) is looking for an experienced Group Engineering Manager fortheEngineeringSystems(ENG)Build team.
The Office Engineering System spans client applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; server products like SharePoint;Azure services;and web applications like Officeon the Web.There are teams working on applications that have been around for decades, and there are teams working on v1 products.Many of our products ship across multiple platforms,devicesand endpoints:Win32, UniversalWindows Platform, Android, iOS,Mac, and Web–and our team's charter is to build a shared engineering infrastructure for all platforms.As leader of the build team, yourcustomers are the 4,000+engineers who work on this 200+million linecodebase.
Your team of 35 Engineers owns the buildsystem, whichisat the core of the engineering system.It iscritical totheOfficeengineer’s “inner loop” experience: engineersdoingbuilds on their local machine,aspart ofdeveloping features and improving our apps and services. But it alsoextends to the cloud-baseddistributedsystemthat produces official releases – the bits thatdeploy to app stores, that customersinstall ontheir PCs,and that we deploy to our data centers. Andit’salso the system thatpowers thepull request and CI/CD experience in Azure DevOps.We collaborate extensively across the company on engineering system tech,leveragingthework of others, and contributingbackto shared One Microsoft services.
The team’s mission is to empower engineers to do their best work, by providingthem a delightful (easy to use, fast, reliable) build experience; and tohelp Office be more responsive to our external customers by accelerating the pace at whichwe’reable todeployhigh-qualitycode.
Candidates for this role should haveastrong customer passion,abias for action,an ability to work effectively across organization boundaries,and deep engineering experience in architecting and deliveringgreatsoftware andservices. People management experience is expected – we have a strong philosophy that great things in software only happen within high-functioning, high-trust, high-fun team environments.
We offer a fantastic and fun team environment with commitment to people, inclusion,and careers. We celebrate team cultural values of being:
- Customer-obsessed (and helping everyone else live this).
- Exceptional partners –collaboratingwithin the team, as well asacross Office, Microsoft,and thesoftwareindustry.
- Committed to continual learning and growing in building a high-trust, collaborative, diverse,and deeply inclusive team environment.
As a Group Engineering Manager of the team, you will be responsible for the following:
- Driving the strategy, vision,and execution for the team,working with your GPM andwithpartner teamsin ENG and beyond.
- Partneringclosely with other GEMs inENGtocontribute toshared initiatives.
- Actively recruitingand buildingout a strong engineering team with diverse and inclusive culture.
- Coachingand growingleaders and engineers within the team.
- Being a strong contributing member of the OXOFUELLeadership Team which drives core platform and engineering for Office and across Experience and Devices,as well as our diversity and inclusion priorities.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for making software engineering more efficient by designing and developing solutions at scale.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and mentoring skills.
- Experience working across disciplinesand teams.
- A track record of leading diverse, inclusive engineering organizations.
- You love this team’s mission!
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of Engineering Management
- Proven track record managinghighly complexservices and teams.
- Exceptional management skills to collaborate across teams and inspire engineering talent.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.