Talent Pathways - Coach Developer
Job Type: Full time
The AFL is Australia’s premier sporting organisation supporting two constantly evolving national competitions, AFL and AFLW. Our purpose is to progress the game, so everyone can share in its heritage and possibilities.
We have a strong workforce presence in most States and Territories of Australia including Northern Territory, QLD, NSW / ACT, Victoria and Tasmania.
As the AFL/ AFLW competitions continue to grow and evolve at both the elite and community levels, we are focused on ensuring we attract and retain great people in both permanent and casual roles at all levels and within all areas of our industry.
Importantly, we aim to reflect the communities where our game is played by recruiting locally where possible to strengthen our connection to the ‘grassroots’ of our game. We are also fortunate to have hundreds of passionate volunteers within our industry, offering their time and expertise to help grow our game.
The AFL's purchase of Marvel Stadium in Docklands, Melbourne, further diversifies our workforce with more than 1000 casual employees to make every moment matter for our fans and customers.
As an organisation, the AFL works tirelessly in all states and at all levels to enhance and grow the game – from grassroots to elite. Together, we put on the game, deliver important events, communicate with our fans, run community programs, develop coaches and umpires, collaborate with partners, delight members, support clubs and so much more. While our roles may vary, we are all united by a common goal, to progress the game so that everyone can share in its heritage and possibilities.
The AFL is committed to promoting and protecting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in our care. Please note, we undertake several screening processes to ensure this commitment is upheld, this includes ensuring the successful candidate to this position holds a valid employee Working with Children/ Vulnerable People check and a satisfactory criminal history record check.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and firmly believe that diversity and inclusion is an important part of both the AFL and the communities in which we operate. Our game is for everyone, and we strive to be a workplace for everyone.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for two Coach Developers to join the AFL Talent team - primarily responsible for managing, leading, and supporting the Victorian network of NAB League Coaches and their respective coaching groups to build a culture of player and coach development. This will involve ensuring all coaches understand their responsibility to holistically improve every player by creating and maintaining a safe, inclusive and well-balanced high-performance environment.
The Coach Developers will guide the NAB League Coaches in managing and developing their own coaching groups and the broader network of community coaches within their overall region. This will also involve supporting the NAB League Coaches to develop their own coaching and leadership skills.
The roles will manage and support all the NAB League Coaches to lead the delivery of the agreed program and competition philosophy, development priorities and expected standards.
For clarity, these roles involve managing, leading and supporting a group of coaches - not directly coaching a team/s or athletes.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF
As a Coach Developer, you will be responsible for the people management, coach development, performance management, mentoring, feedback, and reflection for the NAB League Coaches (12) in each of the assigned (6) regional talent pathway programs.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the development of the talent pathway and/or program coaching curriculum
- Identifying and supporting the individual performance and learning needs of the NAB League Coaches
- In collaboration with the NAB League Coaches, establishing a coach development program across each of the assigned regional programs to ensure the ongoing development of all coaches
- Observing the NAB League Coaches at training and games as well as the provision of feedback and support
- Reinforcing and setting clear expectations amongst the NAB League Coaches of their key leadership role in establishing and maintaining a safe, inclusive, player centered, supportive learning environment for all the athletes involved
- Identifying and accelerating the development of female coaches within the Victorian talent network to ensure the future growth and sustainability of the women’s coaching pipeline.
- Mentoring the NAB League Coaches as they lead and develop their Assist/Support Coach group
- Ensure compliance across all coaching groups with the AFL’s preferred athlete management system (Smartabase) for player monitoring, reporting and feedback
- Contributing to the various Victorian State Academy programs by appointing, coordinating, and supporting the coaching groups that oversee these programs and participation in the various AFL/AFLW National Championship programs
Support the NAB League Coaches and their coaching groups to provide an innovative and holistic coaching program that helps talented young footballers achieve their potential by focusing on:
- Ensuring program equity and integration at a regional level
- The provision of a safe, inclusive, respectful and enjoyable (fun) environment
- On field skills such as fundamentals, decision making, physical attributes, training standards, etc
- Off field skills including the NAB League Mental Fitness program, team and personal values, resilience, leadership, etc
- Individual Player Development Plans (over team success) that also monitors games played over the season including the provision of regular player feedback and reporting
- Identifying and developing athletes from diverse backgrounds by creating a culturally safe high-performance environment for all
- Maintaining a positive culture that allows all players and colleagues (coaches, support staff and umpires) to flourish within the program and the competition
- The players’ long-term participation in football at a variety of levels
Ensure all the NAB League Coaches contribute to the broader AFL Vic community club coach development program by:
- Providing broader education opportunities through open training sessions, instructional videos, seminars, workshops, etc
- Promoting the use of “coach.AFL” resources to build self-sufficiency, capacity and sustainability in community clubs and leagues
- Identifying quality opportunities to provide meaningful up-skilling and professional development opportunities for all coaches within the region
- Identifying and accelerating the development of Indigenous and Multicultural coaches in collaboration with the diversity talent team
OUR IDEAL TEAM MEMBER
- Coaching experience in a high-performance sporting environment preferably with talented youth aged athletes
- A coaching philosophy, ethics and attitude that represents and is aligned to that of the AFL/AFLW Development Coaching and AFL Talent programs
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills, ability to formulate and communicate sequential training and game plans along with the ability to identify, motivate and nurture young talented athletes
- A strong understanding and knowledge of talented athlete identification and talent development theories and practice
- Demonstrated growth mindset and ability to drive change
- Ability to influence people, particularly in a sporting environment
- High level administration skills and attention to detail along with excellent presentation and stakeholder management skills
- Excellent computer skills including document/presentation skills and data analysis
- Experience in working with young people in a safe and inclusive environment
- Current Victorian Driver License and a current Working with Children Check
- Level 3 AFL Coach Accreditation and/or equivalent in another sport
- Bachelor (University) Degree that is relevant to coaching or people leadership
- Completed Coach Developer training modules (eg: UK Open University)
- Excellent IT skills including working with vision and presentation of coaching strategies
- Operational knowledge / skills of applications and relevant player performance analysis and management software including vision editing programs such as Champion Data, Sportscode, Hudl and Smartabase
Please visit www.afl.com.au/careers/our-organisation
We are proudly a WORK180 endorsed employer for women, to see the great benefits that the AFL offers, please visit https://work180.com/en-au/for-women/employer/afl
- Play The Day Your Way – a flexible approach to your working life
- My Development – lean into the AFL’s My Development program consisting of on-the-job training, coaching and mentoring, and formal learning
- Play Well – access to our extensive Health and Wellbeing program centered around our belief in a healthy body, healthy mind, and healthy workplace
- My Benefits – with thanks to our AFL Corporate Partners, access great benefits and discounts
- AFL Silver Memberships – permanent team members can access AFL matches at Marvel Stadium and the MCG, enjoy and share the experience of our game with your family and friends!
We care deeply for our people at the AFL with our primary focus being to provide a safe and healthy workplace for all. We strongly encourage and support all AFL team members to be vaccinated (including by receiving booster doses as recommended by the Relevant Authority and/or ATAGI). In addition, we’re committed to utilising other preventative health and safety measures as appropriate and/or as directed by Relevant Authorities to reduce the risk of contracting and transmitting COVID-19 in our workplaces.
Applications Close: 2 October 2022