Associate Technical Director - Power Systems
Location: Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
Job Type: Full time
- Join a high performing team delivering great results
- A company that truly values it's people, offering professional memberships and global project exposure
- Genuine flex working opportunities including hybrid working and part time hours
At Arcadis we focus on attracting, retaining and developing people who share our passion and commitment to improve quality of life. In return we offer you the opportunity to transform your world and the world around you, that could be through client work, upskilling yourself, championing equality and inclusion or getting involved in charity work, to name just a few. Our people value different perspectives, they care about the sustainability of our planet and dare to shape the future.
One of our core values is ‘people first’, and supported by our Lovinklaan foundation, we invest in you for the long term, to ensure you reach your full potential. You’ll have the opportunity to own your career and work on industry-defining projects, finding solutions to real challenges that make a difference to people’s lives. You’re encouraged to have a growth mindset and are given the space to develop personally and professionally, building a flexible career that works for you.
Working closely with our State and Discipline Leads, you will be take an influential leadership role on national projects within the Power Systems sector. Instil knowledge, while mentoring and providing technical guidance to upcoming Engineers. This role aims to assist the growth of the team from the inside while delivering and providing quality assurance on national projects.
- Preparing and reviewing complex reports, proposals and presentations to clients in the following areas:
- HV power systems analysis – loadflow, fault levels, dynamic performance, transient analysis, harmonics assessments, induction studies, insulation coordination studies;
- HV transmission and distribution substations primary electrical design: layout design, specification of plant, coordination of civil design;
- HV transmission and distribution protection systems analysis and design: schematic design, IED specification / configuration, determination of protection settings, investigation of protection events;
- Earthing system analysis and design;
- Manage the delivery of specialised components of projects, advising on the most effective team to achieve this
- Govern technical reviews and quality assurance activities for projects, documentation, processes, and practices
- Use technical knowledge to identify and realise new client opportunities and to provide technical input into the bidding process
- Lead the technical development of staff, coaching and mentoring on technical issues
- Provide technical expertise and overview to client and stakeholders and to assist clients through technical decision-making and provide alternative options/solutions if there are changes to project parameters
Qualifications & Experience:
- 15+ years’ experience as a power systems engineer, with at least 5 years as an engineering leader with industry recognition of capability in the role;
- Tertiary qualification in electrical/power engineering, chartered engineering and RPEQ status; and
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills including a working knowledge of MS Office.
- Highly regarded skills include:
- The ability to develop complex models in PSSE, ETAP, SKM PTW power systems software
- The ability to develop cable system / transient voltage studies - ATP, EMTP-RV
- The ability to develop cable thermal rating studies and design - CYMCAP
- The ability to develop complex earthing and induction models in CDEGS earthing system software
- The ability to develop maintenance strategies and procedures, commissioning plans and documentation
- Specifying or interfacing with control systems in an HV substations environment; and
- Modelling of connection of significant loads and generators into existing networks and advising on connection agreements
- Computational design, design algorithms and automation of data manipulation
Why Become an Arcadian?
Our work with clients has a direct impact on people’s lives and on the planet. We make moving, living and belonging in cities safer, more resilient and more sustainable. By partnering with our clients as responsible custodians of our earth's resources, we can create a sustainable planet.
We continue to think of new ways to make positive impacts and create better experiences for people; data driven and digital solutions have become part of the Arcadis DNA. Working together with clients and using techniques like design thinking, we can get to the heart of our clients’ most pressing challenges and work together to solve them.
As a global business, we have committed to support five of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals to ensure that our projects contribute to a better and more sustainable future for all. But it’s not just the work that we do on client projects that benefits communities and our planet. As a global business, we are committed to making a positive impact to society by supporting local communities where we operate.
To help protect our planet, we monitor and measure non-financial information to inform business decisions and reduce our own environmental impact as part of our commitment to be net zero carbon as a global company by 2030.
Our Commitment to Equality, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
We want you to be able to bring your best self to work every day which is why we take equality and inclusion seriously and hold ourselves to account for our actions. Our ambition is to be an employer of choice and provide a great place to work for all our people.
As an equal opportunity employer, we value and promote diversity at Arcadis and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Arcadis Australia is an endorsed employer for all women. See our range of benefits and policies directly at WORK 180
Transform Your World