Engineering Manager, Tenant Provisioning Lifecycle
Job Type: Full time
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.
- Amelia Earhart
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
To help our teams work together, this role requires you to be located anywhere in Australia east coast timezones. If this sparks your interest, apply today and chat with our friendly Recruitment team.
Your future team
When customers sign up for Atlassian products, our Tenant Provisioning Lifecycle team's platform microservices robustly orchestrate what needs to happen in product and platform systems for that customer, mapping product offerings that customers buy to the product component resources for each customer. We're building the next generation of these systems so we can scale to more customers, products, apps, and varied product editions. This is a very interesting evolutionary challenge, you'll work with many teams in product and platform, and your work will be key to several high-level company goals.
We are part of the Tenant Platform team, which is core to allowing the concept of multi tenancy in our cloud architecture. We provide a platform, used by all of Atlassian's products, which enables concepts such as the creation of new tenancy at signup, management of the tenant lifecycle (licence changes, product suspension, deletion, etc), and data residency.
Here are some blogs about the Tenant Platform architecture this team's new systems are part of:
We're hiring an Engineering Manager reporting to Senior Engineering Manager, Tenant Platform. You'll split and grow our existing team and go deeper on the future challenges. You are a passionate people manager with technical experience, able to guide your team to make technical and roadmap decisions, and operate our systems in production. You'll help build and scale these platform services, working with partner teams on migration from existing systems, and drawing clean boundaries between teams and architecture layers. We're designing a self-service adoption, integration and testing story as part of wider Tenant Platform, and your team is an important piece of that strategy.
We'd love you to bring new ideas to our engineering culture, and besides our awesome group of collaborating teams in Tenant Platform, you'll get to work with a huge variety of other teams across Atlassian, as our services have a lot of internal customers!
What you'll do
- Form, hire and grow the new team, and establish its culture, process, and social connections
- Partner with the adjacent team to separate responsibilities
- Work with the Product Manager, your devs, and Principal/Architects to guide the delivery of our new service to production, migration of live traffic, scale and evolution, aligning with other teams in Tenant Platform
- Take ownership of related tenant lifecycle systems and strategically evolve them together
- Maintain operational quality for your team's important services - we run services in production!
- 2+ years management experience in people leading, coaching and running teams
- Success with new team formation and evolution
- Background in software development and operating reliable systems in production
- AWS knowledge (we use Step Functions, SQS, Aurora, Dynamo), or similar experience with other public cloud offerings (e.g. Google, Azure)
- Your new team works with Java and Spring microservices, but experience of these is not a prerequisite
- Knowledge of distributed systems concepts, e.g. scaling, consistency and availability tradeoffs
- Experience with platform thinking, to focus on efficient usability by our internal customers
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!