Legal Director, Enterprise Sales & International Operations - APAC Region, Commercial & GBO Legal Team
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or from an office (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic attorney to join our Commercial & Global Business Operations (GBO) Legal Team, to lead all aspects of commercial legal support for our fast growing APAC business. As a key leader in the region, you will serve as trusted advisor to our Head of Strategic Field Advocates for APAC as well as work closely with other business and Legal leaders both in APAC and globally as you collaboratively shape and drive our efforts to expand our business operations in APAC and accelerate our customers' journey to the cloud. Are you a curious, agile and forward-looking leader excited about the opportunity to build for the future and effect change, while at the same time growing your career in a dynamic and values-oriented environment? Then you might be the person we're looking for!
This position will report directly to the Deputy General Counsel, Commercial & Global Business Operations Legal Team.
In this role, you'll get to:
- Serve as business partner to the Head of Strategic Field Advocates for APAC, and contribute as a member of the extended APAC leadership team.
- Provide practical and business-oriented legal advice for all commercial related matters, including management of operations and support of all commercial transactions in the APAC region.
- Develop and implement a strategy for delivering efficient, scalable legal support across all of Atlassian’s commercial operations in APAC to support a growing and transforming business.
- Collaborate with the broader Legal team and an array of cross-functional business leaders, to identify, plan, and execute the APAC growth and business strategy along with strategic initiatives that help our APAC customers accelerate their successful journey to the cloud.
- Support compliance in our day-to-day activities in APAC, including providing training and counselling to sales professionals and driving compliance initiatives.
- Own and be responsible for budget management, goal setting and data collection and analytics related to the delivery of legal support in APAC.
- Hire and manage outside counsel to support matters affecting the APAC business.
- Serve on the leadership team for the Commercial & GBO Legal Team, participating in all facets of group planning including building out long-term growth plans, setting team OKRs, and managing strategic priorities.
- Lead and/or support key projects on behalf of the Legal team that support our cloud and scaling transformation efforts.
- You are a broad-based business attorney with deep subject matter expertise in the current laws and regulatory requirements applicable to software and cloud service providers operating in APAC.
- You possess excellent negotiating, drafting, and influencing skills, and have expert knowledge across a wide range of commercial contracting matters.
- You are a practical and creative problem-solver who is confident, mature and calm under fire and can work independently in a dynamic, fast-changing environment.
- You possess excellent business sense and judgment.
- You have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, and are able to work effectively with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels.
- You have demonstrated excellent leadership, along with superior organisational and communication skills, in leading teams to deliver successful outcomes.
- You are a creative thought leader when it comes to innovating and aren’t afraid to try new things.
- You have a collaborative and inclusive mindset, value diverse perspectives, and are experienced in bringing people together and driving positive change.
- You have strong people management skills and are skilled in building out and leading teams, either as a direct manager, peer leader, or project manager.
- You stay abreast of significant developments in the laws affecting the APAC business and what’s happening in the software and cloud services industry generally.
- You operate with the highest integrity.
- You have a great sense of humour and value building strong relationships with your colleagues.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Extensive experience as a practicing attorney, with at least five years practicing as an in-house lawyer (preferably for a multinational, publicly-listed Technology company)
- Management experience with legal teams, either as direct manager, functional lead, or as coach for junior lawyers.
- In depth knowledge of commercial and contract law based on working in a law firm and/or in-house on complex technology transactions (preferably related to software and cloud services); experience in other legal fields like corporate, tax, employment, intellectual property, anti-corruption, privacy and data protection law an additional benefit.
- Experience working in a matrixed environment, with remote, global, and cross-functional teams.
- Excellent English skills, both spoken and written.
- Excellent academic credentials and be qualified to practice law in your local jurisdiction .
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!