Safety Engineer - Marine Systems
Job Type: Full time
- All Systems GO! Be part of the next generation of defence technology
- Excellent opportunity for growth and career progression
- Enjoy flexibility with a 9-day fortnight (optional), engaging work and a culture that embraces diversity and open-mindedness
At BAE Systems we are all systems go as we continue to drive innovation and seek passionate and talented people to join our business. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Safety Engineer – Marine Systems to join the iconic Hunter Class Frigate Project within our Shipbuilding Business Unit. This role will be based in our Victorian or Adelaide facilities with the opportunity for flexible working arrangements and a 9-day fortnight (optional).
What this opportunity will mean for you:
- Purposeful work where your efforts are recognised in an environment where you can thrive
- Joining an organisation that is passionate about developing some of the most impressive careers in the world
- Industry-leading flexibility options to unlock the talent and diversity of every individual
- Unique opportunities to contribute to programs of national significance whilst growing your skills
- A strong safety culture, inclusive teams and work to be proud of, underpinned by a compelling set of values
The Systems Safety Engineer is accountable and responsible for both the provision of the end to end engineering process and the technical authorisations of engineering work in the area of system safety. This role will also be responsible for growing the skills and knowledge of engineers across their discipline through the provision of coaching and mentoring.
This role also provides the appropriate System Safety Engineering input for the development or modification of systems and to act as the technical liaison person with the engineering disciplines on safety related issues for assigned projects.
In particular, this role will see you:
- Manage the engineering activities within a structured Systems Engineering framework to support the delivery of engineering solutions, in accordance with BAE Systems Engineering Management Plan and procedures.
- Ensure that professional engineering technical and operational support is accurate, safe, on-time and on-budget to support project, task and bid activities
- Support BAE Systems in the delivery of system safety engineering solutions and advice for projects undertaken within a structured Safety Engineering methodology as described by MIL-STD-882C, DEF Stan 00-056 or equivalent.
- Investigate and resolve System Safety related technical issues that may arise in the development and modification of ship equipment, systems or materials.
- Perform Peer reviews of system safety related documentation produced by BAE Systems as assigned.
- Liaise with and report to the Engineering Manager – Product Integrity or Wholeship Safety Engineer, as required and provide technical advice for safety engineering activities and methodologies performed within BAE Systems.
- Mentor and develop Safety Engineers within BAE Systems as determined necessary by the Engineering Manager – Product Integrity.
- Degree level qualifications in Safety, Electronic, Electrical, Mechanical or Computer Systems Engineering or a suitable combined engineering discipline (or equivalent) and engineering experience enabling eligibility for admission to the Institution of Engineers,
- Australia, as a Chartered Professional Engineer
- Demonstrated experience within an engineering discipline, preferably in a defence environment
- In depth knowledge of Systems Engineering frameworks and their application in defence contracts (desirable)
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to manage and prioritise own activities to meet project schedules
- Self motivated and able to work effectively without supervision
- Computer literate in contemporary engineering application software
Research shows that some candidates hesitate to apply for roles if they feel they don't meet 100% of the criteria. So, if this opportunity excites you and you have the right foundational experience and qualifications, we encourage you to apply. Whether it be for this role or another, your skills and competencies are of interest to us.
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html
Applications should be addressed to: Sharryn Salkilld and made online here. Confidential enquiries are welcome via email: email@example.com
Please be aware that pursuant to different State government health directions, vaccination mandates regarding your ability to attend our Company sites may be applicable. Please be prepared to discuss your vaccination status with our recruiters as part of the recruitment process.
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment where our people can thrive. For us that means ensuring that the voices and talents of our employees are valued and that everyone has a sense of belonging. We do not tolerate discrimination because of differences, such as age, ability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, or sexual orientation.
If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://au.work180.co/employer/bae-systems/benefits
To learn about other employment opportunities at BAE Systems, please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au