Principal Ventilation Engineer/FIFO from Adelaide, or Resi
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
It’s an exciting time to be at Olympic Dam, we are accessing 70% of the orebody that hasn’t been touched in the first 25 years of operation, in one of Australia’s largest mines within a complex minerals processing operation.
About the Role
This role is a permanent position offering flexibility to FIFO from Adelaide, or residential options on a variety of potential rosters to meet the role requirements and lifestyle of the individual.
The Principal / Senior Mine Ventilation Engineer is responsible for the tactical and strategic mine ventilation across a number of planning horizons for one of the largest and complex underground ventilation circuits in the world.
It provides technical ventilation support, and operational guidance to Mine Planning and Design, Ventilation Planning and Ventilation Execution Teams with a focus on the overall mine ventilation system, underground environment and its impacts on safety, production, cost, and achievement of the mine plan at Olympic Dam Operations.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Ensuring that all legislative, internal, and best practice standards are met with respect to ventilation planning and OH&S
- Education and coaching of personnel to improve understanding of ventilation systems, plans, and practices
- Timely delivery and review of ventilation plans for development, production, and project activities that comply with all legislative and internal standards
- Consultation in monthly, stope & mine block, and 2YP/5YP planning processes with attention to safety, schedule, reliability and costs
- Liaising between stakeholders to support a comprehensive integrated mine plan
- Integration of associated planning and schedule software to support operations
- Participation / Subject Matter Expert in Ventilation modelling and major projects (eg Circuit performance optimisation, Ventsim model calibration, Ventilation system surveys)
- Quarterly and monthly monitoring and reporting on health / performance of ventilation circuits
- Demonstrate an overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
- Tertiary/Technical qualifications in Mining, Civil, Electrical or other relevant engineering field, in which a substantial component of the curriculum was in ventilation engineering
- Experience in mine or project scheduling and management is highly desirable
- Competency in mine ventilation and design software platforms (VentSim, Deswik, MS Office) and understanding of limitations of each
- Ability to interpret limited measured / monitoring data, identify potential issues and causes of change, and develop processes to validate assumptions
- Able to develop preferred and alternate ventilation strategies, identify and escalate potential risks and mitigating actions
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to influence others, communicate complex concepts, and document clearly and concisely
- Ability to operate across disciplines where required
- Experience in Mine Ventilation (e.g. ventilation execution, ventilation planning / scheduling, ventilation officer) is highly desirable but not compulsory
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems with minimal direction
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.