Principal Safety | Iron Ore | Perth | Mon-Fri with regular site travel | 12 Month Fixed Term
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
This is a great opportunity to join the team as a Principal to provide input into the development and improvement of a safety framework that enables BHP to deliver on the Charter Value of Sustainability and deliver excellent HSE performance.
The role is a full time Perth based position, with regular site travel and flexible working options being available. The opportunity requires you to provide leadership, coaching, strategic direction and expert support on the BHP safety management systems and processes relating to the WA Iron Ore Asset.
In this role you will:
- Create Asset-wide HSE standards and facilitate the design and establishment of Asset wide HSE procedures and systems
- Facilitate workshops and project manage asset and group wide projects across the Function
- Support the provision of advice to the Western Australia Iron Ore Leadership Team on safety matters, global practices and emerging trends.
- Support the development of Asset -level strategies and improvement initiatives for material safety issues.
- Monitor performance, analyse data and define improvements to HSE systems, structures and processes against our Group Level Documents and our legal obligations
- Provide HSE expertise to line management on risks with HSE impacts and key regulatory requirements
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting as per legislative requirements, including effective document control and retention of records;
- Share Asset-level safety issues, global practices, emerging trends, achievements and improvement opportunities across the BHP Group.
- Support the development of the safety component of the Asset’s HSE strategic five year plan.
- Coach field leadership activities (1:1 & 1:Many), offer support and technical guidance to build a safety leadership culture and enhance understanding of compliance relevant to company and legal requirements
- Represent BHP on key industry bodies and associations
The successful candidate will have:
- Substantial safety operational experience, preferably in the mining, oil and gas or similar industry.
- Demonstrated success as a leader in the delivery of safety outcomes as a functional specialist through diverse teams across multiple geographies, operations / projects and jurisdictions.
- Strong project management skills (preferably trained in Six Sigma) and expertise in safety processes, systems and performance measures
- Proven contribution in delivering safety improvement initiatives and mastery of relevant tools for safety excellence (e.g. Risk Management).
- excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Tertiary qualifications in Safety or a related field (preferred)
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.