Principal Mechanical Engineer | Hay Point | 5:2
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
Reporting to the Superintendent of Governance and Technical Stewardship within the Engineering Department, you will be responsible for providing specialist technical expertise to the operation. This will involve the execution of tasks associated with providing mechanical engineering technical support and ensuring a robust risk and benefit based assessment process is followed for engineering applications.
This role is based at our Hay Point site on a residential basis.
In this role you will:
- Provide specialist mechanical engineering expertise and ensure robust change control processes and documentation standards are followed
- Lead reviews and audits and collaborate with discipline engineers across BMA
- Work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team to solve complex problems
- Develop and contribute to the delivery of improvement initiatives which support business priorities for continuous improvement
- Govern the accurate maintenance of the Operation's blueprint (engineering standards, specifications drawings, processes, systems and procedures), ensuring approved modifications of its plant, equipment and infrastructure
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with relevant departments, suppliers, consultants, contractors and trades.
- Ensure Safety, Constructability, Operability and Maintainability is preserved throughout the design lifecycle process
As a degree qualified Mechanical Engineer with more than 10 years of industry experience, you will apply your strong technical skills in a multi-disciplined environment.
Additionally, the following skillsets / personal qualities are essential:
- RPEQ qualification (or have the ability to acquire it).
- Previous site based experience working with bulk materials handling equipment i.e. rail unloading, conveying, stacking / reclaiming (balanced machines) and shiploaders.
- Actively provide leadership / mentoring to other specialists and engineers within the site engineering team.
- Detailed understanding of engineering principles, standards and processes with a demonstrated practical and hands on approach.
- The ability to influence and build a relationship with a range of stakeholders at all levels of a business.
- Being collaborative team player, committed to delivering results and able to operate with a high level of autonomy.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.