Principal Exploration Geoscientist | BHP Metals Exploration | Perth
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
BHP Metals Exploration, part of the world’s largest integrated resources company, is currently in an exciting period of sustainable growth and development. With a clear strategy and focus on projects from early stage concept development through to advanced exploration, we now have an opportunity for a driven and passionate Principal Exploration Geoscientist to further develop their career and shape the exploration portfolio as part of the Exploration Generative team. We are seeking someone who will be a core member of a team of regionally focused, highly specialised experts responsible for identifying, assessing, and recommending new search space opportunities for future facing commodities including nickel and copper within Australasia.
As Principal Exploration Geoscientist within the Exploration team, you will be given the opportunity to:
- Generate, define, and test exploration opportunities within Australasia at a broad range of scales from craton to prospect.
- Carry out high quality data capture, analysis, and interpretation leading to ground capture in order to continually replenish the project pipeline for the region.
- Leverage your knowledge of the Mineral Systems Framework to build and maintain continental- to belt-scale prospectivity maps for copper and nickel.
- Work closely with a broad range of technical experts across multi-disciplinary geosciences and technology.
- Champion continuous improvement in the application of exploration sciences, and engage with external research partners to address major technical challenges facing explorers and to maintain technical excellence in the BHP team.
- Contribute to positive, open, and trusting relationships with the geosciences community across Metals Exploration.
To be successful in this role, you will be an accomplished explorer, highly skilled in exploration geoscience with a variety of the following skills and experience:
- An overriding commitment to health, safety environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
- Bachelor of Science in Geology or applicable Earth Science.
- Understanding of mineral systems thinking that can be applied to nickel and copper exploration.
- Capability in synthesising large regional exploration datasets incorporating geophysics, geochemistry, structure and lithology.
- Capability and aptitude to work independently, driven by personal and team objectives.
- A team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to engage effectively with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Computer skills in GIS, 3D modelling and visualization applications and other industry standard exploration software environments
BHP Perth - Brookfield Place
BHP – Perth operates from City Square located in the heart of the Perth CBD. The building itself reflects the latest thinking in corporate workplace design and facilities with the centerpiece of the development being a 45 story tower which is home to the other BHP group of companies in Western Australia.
To find out more about working for BHP, click here
Short listing for this position will commence on 24th December however we reserve the right to close this position earlier than stated.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.