Dynamic Simulation Specialist
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
This role will be based in our Brisbane office and supported by the latest technology to engage with our sites around the Australia and the globe. The role offers a full-time permanent or fixed-term opportunity working Monday to Friday. Some travel may be required. Flexible working options are available.
Your main focus areas will be to:
- Uncover capability, performance improvement and value engineering opportunities for short, medium and long term time frames across the production value chains of BHP’s assets;
- Work closely with operations and stakeholders to ensure that the relevant business problems are identified, defined and structured - including context, success measures, and potential challenges;
- Define purpose and scope, and plan the correct modelling approach, level of detail, and data requirements to ensure System Dynamics models are fit-for-purpose and a valid representation of the actual systems or processes;
- Build, validate, document and review System Dynamics models in AnyLogic simulation software to simulate the asset supply chain which can include mine operations, trucking and rail networks, processing plants and product loading and dispatch;
- Work collaboratively with site SMEs and the data analysts and data scientists in the Value Engineering team - interrogating and analysing data from large data source records in order to gain insights, understand operational and performance issues and produce input data for the dynamic models;
- Define simulation cases, process model results and produce visualisations to support findings and solutions; communicate results, insights and recommendations to guide actions and decision making..
About the team
BHP’s Value Engineering group was established to identify, maximise and implement value-adding capability and performance improvement opportunities across the value chain of BHP’s assets.
We are a collaborative team of simulation specialists, engineers, data analysts and data scientists who combine these skill areas to analyse the end to end value chain of BHP’s assets, to identify, evaluate and recommend opportunities to lift asset capability and performance in the short, medium and long term. You will be part of this global team, reporting to the Manager System Dynamics and working alongside value engineering leads, principals and specialists, using the data and drawing on the knowledge of operations and business subject matter experts linked with BHPs assets to design and track the effectiveness of improvement recommendations.
- Tertiary qualifications in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or analytics-related discipline, together with a passion for problem solving and using data and dynamic simulation to identify, evaluate and support value engineering and performance improvement initiatives;
- Experience defining and programming discrete-event system dynamics models.
Other attributes you may have would include some or all of the following:
- Practical experience in mining, minerals processing and resource industries, or equivalent heavy industries, which could include experience in operations or consulting in these areas;
- Experience in value engineering and performance improvement ideation and hypothesis development, including exploring and proposing new ideas that may have benefits for the operation and business;
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem solving skills to generate value through simulation, while maintaining a practical and strategic focus;
- Capability in project scoping and executing work using a disciplined approach to attain project goals;
- Strong presentation and communication skills, and ability to influence stakeholders with different areas of expertise and experience.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.