Smelter Metallurgist Production Support Feed Prep | Olympic Dam SA | 5:2 4:3
Location: Roxby Downs
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
We are currently looking for a Smelter Metallurgist on site at Olympic Dam to join the Smelter Production Support technical team. You will be collaborating with Operations, Maintenance, Reliability and Technical team members to deliver excellence in plant operation.
The Smelter Technical Team offers access to a wide range of unit operations including Feed Preparation, Smelting (Flash Direct to Blister, Electric Slag Furnace), Anode Furnace Refining, Anode Casting and Sulphuric Acid Plant operations.
Reporting to the Superintendent Production Support – Smelter Technical you will be part of a team responsible for developing operating strategies, investigating performance variance and optimising plant performance with small projects.
In this role you will:
- Focus on creating a culture of care by being a visible safety leader and engaging the operation teams.
- Foster effective and productive working relationships across all internal and external stakeholders
- Exercise a proficient level of technical knowledge and expertise to independently make informed decisions.
- Manage metallurgical(process) control throughout your area.
- Work with control room, production and maintenance personnel to deliver the highest level of plant control and stability.
- Identify, develop and deliver small process improvement projects.
- Produce operating standards, procedures and work instructions.
- Conduct thorough investigations into plant performance issues and implement sustainable solutions.
The following attributes will be highly regarded:
- Demonstrate the confidence to lead by example, hold yourself and others accountable and coach others in Safety Leadership
- Highly engaged, collaborative and committed to building mutually beneficial relationships across functional teams
- Degree qualified in Metallurgy, Chemical or Process Engineering
- Professional approach to systems-based management within a modern organsiation
- Relevant experience in Copper Smelting is highly regarded.
More Information about BHP / Olympic Dam
To learn more about BHP and Olympic Dam click here
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.