Superintendent Drill and Blast | Olympic Dam | 8/6 FIFO or Residential
Location: Roxby Downs
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About Olympic Dam
One of Australia’s largest mines and a complex minerals processing operation, Olympic Dam, is unique in that we produce Copper, Uranium, Gold and Silver. The local township of Roxby Downs is an active and progressive community offering a variety of modern, well-equipped housing, educational, health, sporting, leisure, shopping and cultural facilities.
About the Role
Reporting to the Manager Mine Production Underground, you will be responsible for providing guidance and leadership to a team of supervisors, underground operators and technical specialists in executing drill and blast aspects of the mine plan whilst achieving safe and optimal outcomes for the production team and Olympic Dam Mine.
There is an expectation that you operate in a proactive manner, working closely with site stakeholders on a daily basis, ensuring operational challenges are raised and mitigating actions are taken.
In this role, you will also manage compliance with operating standards, procedures, work instructions and define processes in order to achieve and optimise production outcomes while working closely with the site team.
This role is based at our Olympic Dam mine site on an 8/6 basis and can be offered as FIFO ex-Adelaide, DIDO or Residential
In this role you will:
- Be first and foremost focused on creating a culture of care by being a visible safety leader by engaging, developing and coaching your team whilst ensuring an overriding commitment to health, safety, environment responsibility and sustainability
- Build business partnerships and maintain strong working relationships with key stakeholders internal and external to the business
- Positively shape culture in alignment with the BHP Charter Values
- Lead and develop a team of technical and operational mining professionals
- Identify, build and develop team capability through ongoing and regular coaching and development
- Build effective relationships across multiple mine departments to support the delivery of improved production
- Be responsible for a fleet of production drills, raisebores and charging equipment
- Encourage and promote continuous improvement by constantly looking for opportunities to improve work practices and procedures
- Provide leadership, mentoring and coaching to the team
- Lead process improvement initiatives to support customer group by leveraging lean practices
- Accountable for major site contracts
- Previous underground mining experience, ideally coupled with exposure to Drill and Blast and Mine planning
- Degree qualification in Mining Engineering or an aligned discipline preferred
- First Class Mine Managers certificate of Competency and SA Blasters Licence are preferred
- Foundational leadership experience and engagement of teams that support high quality and engaged delivery
- Experience implementing continuous improvement strategies with financial and commercial acumen
- The ability to engage and find positive outcomes with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience and knowledge working across a broad range of disciplines including HSE, Commercial, Supply, Contract Management and Operations
- Well-developed engagement skills with an interest in providing leadership, stewardship, support and solutions
- High level communication and influencing skills, including the ability to produce quality, concise reports and presentations to senior executives
How to Apply
Please apply online before 4 February 2023
You may be requested to complete a short video assessment as part of your application.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.