Team Leader Mechanical | WAIO | Port Hedland | Residential
Location: Western Australia
Job Type: Not Specified
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
This opportunity is based at the Port in Port Hedland, home to our port and rail operations and is the largest regional centre in North West Australia. This role is being offered on a residential basis working an even-time roster. In addition, other benefits include generous allowances, an attractive share scheme, annual salary reviews and a short-term incentive bonus.
We currently have a vacancy for a Team Leader to join us, working in an inclusive team environment within the Shift Maintenance Department. The expectation is that you will be a skilled communicator with proven people management, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
You’ll contribute extensively to the effective day to day operations and will be an innovative thinker with a strong head for business and budget management, experience in a similar role is essential we are looking for a people leader who considers the big picture and bring their perspective to our operations. Conducting all task in safest manner possible in line with BHP Charter Values, BHP Policies/ Procedures, Code of Conduct and relevant statutory obligations.
Reporting to the Shift Maintenance Supervisor, you will be responsible for performing fault-finding, breakdown and preventative maintenance on various heavy fixed plant assets such as car dumpers, stackers, bucket wheel reclaimers, ship loaders, lump re-screening buildings, water recirculation equipment, apron feeders and various conveying systems.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining a high profile in the promotion of safe working conditions and practices to ensure a safe working environment.
- Working collectively with the team to deliver a safe and reliable maintenance service to our customers
- Assisting and providing coaching with preventative maintenance inspections in accordance with maintenance planning systems and recommending appropriate follow-up action.
- Provide leadership, coaching and mentoring of teams within portfolio
- An overriding commitment to health, safety, environment responsibility and sustainable development
- Monitor jobs in progress and look for safety improvements in the way the job is being conducted
- Facilitate and complete “Whole of job function” tasks, which include preparation of JHA’s, take 5’s, Field Leadership Activities and Work Management practices.
- Maintain all aspects of equipment maintenance, including preventative, fault finding, rebuilds/repairs, and commissioning.
- Perform required work management duties, ensuring all documentation and data entry is accurately completed and to a high standard.
- Maintain a high standard of housekeeping, attention to detail and quality of work
In this residential role you will be based in the coastal town of Port Hedland, Western Australia. Port Hedland is home to our port and rail operations and is the largest regional centre in North West Australia. The 20,000-strong population enjoys well-established education services, entertainment, shopping and medical facilities.
The excellent sporting and leisure facilities include; a new aquatic centre, sports stadium and water play park. Its beaches and mangroves are home to an abundance of fish and other wildlife. Within driving distance are the spectacular Broome, Karratha and Karijini national Park. As this is a residential position you will also be provided with subsidised rental accommodation in addition to power and water subsidies.
Our successful candidate will have the following:
- Australian recognized Mechanical trade certificate (Certificate III)
- Proven post trade experience in heavy industry
- Experience operating and maintaining shift assets is desirable
- Strong safe, process driven leadership skills
- Experienced in 1SAP work management
- The ability to work methodically and remain calm and focused in a busy and dynamic work environment
- Ability to work autonomously and to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Exceptional risk management skills Able to work effectively under pressure
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.