Laboratory Technician - Bioassay R&D
Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Support Australia’s response to biological threats to animal health
- Ensure the smooth running of our Bioassay R&D laboratory
- Play an integral role in ACDP’s Diagnosis, Surveillance and Response program
The Bioassay Research and Development (Bioassay R&D) team at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) produces novel assays and bioreagents for the detection of pathogens, and for maintaining reagents that are used for infectious diseases research and diagnostic tests.
As a Laboratory Technician at the ACDP, you will join the Bioassay R&D team to support our ongoing diagnostic assay and reagent development efforts. Working collaboratively with individual team members, you will assist with standard laboratory procedures and ensure the smooth running of the laboratory. This includes the maintenance of working stocks of consumables and reagents, and scheduling and/or performing laboratory and laboratory equipment upkeep.
The appointee must be able to meet ACDP’s Microbiological Security and Security Clearance requirements.
In this role you will:
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary R&D team to carry out tasks contributing to the delivery of quality reagents.
- Perform basic experiments and routine laboratory procedures, and solve technical problems.
- Undertake general housekeeping, stocktakes and ordering duties, scheduling and/or performing maintenance.
- Instruct staff/students in the use of shared equipment and lab procedures/protocols, as required.
- Contribute to the interpretation and communication of technical or research data.
- Use discretion to decide on the timing of operations within the work team’s plan to meet project demands.
Location: Geelong - Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), VIC
Salary: AU$68k - AU$86k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite – Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience in health-related biochemistry or biotechnology.
- Laboratory experience:
- Protein/antibody analysis and characterisation techniques.
- Aseptic technique in microbial and/or mammalian cell culture.
- The ability to maintain scientific research laboratories.
- Excellent record-keeping abilities, organisational skills and attention to detail.
- The ability to learn new laboratory techniques and to troubleshoot or seek solutions to unexpected problems.
- Competence in the use of Microsoft office software.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian Citizens only.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Thursday 8 December, 2022 (11pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.