Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Contribute to research across three key animal facilities
- Work on challenging projects alongside a dedicated team of professionals
- Apply your veterinary expertise in a unique environment at the ACDP
As a Facility Veterinarian at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), you will provide a high level of professional veterinary expertise in support of research projects across three animal facilities. Working with a team of animal technicians and support staff, you will provide animal husbandry and care, ensuring that animal usage adheres to the Australian code of practice for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.
You will be open to working weekends on a roster basis, as well as shift work from time to time. A number of tasks will require working alone. All staff working in this environment must pass security, medical and psychological checks and be vaccinated as appropriate.
In this role you will:
- Provide veterinary expertise in support of research projects involving animals.
- Provide appropriate clinical care, including monitoring and management of research animals.
- Provide advice on best practice breeding and colony management of research animals.
- Review, refine, develop, deliver and assess technical training procedures and resources.
- Develop and deliver technical presentations, reports and workshops as appropriate.
- Liaise with team members and key stakeholders and provide advice regarding project design, animal ethics applications and study implementation.
- Maintain high levels of animal welfare and strive for improvement.
- Assist in the preparation of scientific papers and reports, and deliver presentations to a range of audiences.
- Participate in formal training programs and other technology transfer seminars/workshops.
Location: Geelong – Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), Victoria
Salary: AU$105k - to AU$114k per annum plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite - Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A veterinary degree registrable with the Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board of Victoria with a minimum of approximately two years’ clinical experience.
- Experience and/or willingness to work with animals infected with serious zoonotic disease agents.
- Competence in complex or non-routine husbandry, surgery and animal management procedures in a veterinary or medical research or diagnostic environment.
- The ability to develop and adapt veterinary and husbandry techniques for novel scientific procedures and varied animal species.
- The ability to work productively and harmoniously in a team, with a good understanding of the basis of a successful team, and the ability to work independently as required.
- A commitment to safeguarding and improving the welfare of animals, including knowledge of the Australian code of practice for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.
- Experience reviewing and refining current processes, developing training resources, and conducting the training of animal techs and other relevant staff.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian Citizens only.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Sunday 11 December, 2022 (11pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.