Senior Animal Technician - Werribee Animal Health Facility (WAHF)
Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Newly created role assisting the Werribee Animal Health Facility Manager
- Ensure adherence to animal ethic and welfare protocols for the best outcomes for animals and science
- Make a difference! Join our friendly team at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness
Part of the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), as a Senior Animal Technician, you will work within a small team located at the Werribee Animal Health Facility (WAHF). The WAHF team is one of ACDP’s three Animal Facility teams. In this newly created role, you will provide assistance to the Facility Manager in the daily supervision of WAHF staff, and provide high level advice and animal care.
Ensuring that the WAHF maintains a disease-free facility and provides the highest standard of animal husbandry, you will be responsible for facility equipment checks and maintenance, and promote adherence to animal ethic and welfare protocols.
The Senior Animal Technician works as part of an on-call roster. The appointee must be able to meet ACDP microbiological security and security assessment requirements.
In this role you will:
- Provide guidance to Werribee Animal Health Facility (WAHF) staff.
- Assist the Facility Manager of the WAHF to undertake animal technical work.
- Support science and research activities involving small and large animals within the microbiologically contained facility.
- Assist in the management of the daily operations of the WAHF and ensure tasks are carried out appropriately and efficiently.
- Induct and train staff and students to ensure appropriate skill levels.
- Conduct animal husbandry procedures and collection of biological samples.
- Assist in the provision and maintenance of animal health status.
- Maintain highest possible levels of animal welfare through compliance with Animal Ethics Committee protocols and policies.
- Ensure the continuous improvement of record keeping and certification of the facility is maintained to a relevant quality standard.
- Work on weekends and after hours as required and share on-call responsibilities with the Facility Manager WAHF.
- Abide by and promote microbiological security regulations at CSIRO ACDP.
Location: Werribee, Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), VIC
Salary: AU$89k - AU$101k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite – Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A diploma or relevant degree, or equivalent experience in animal sciences or a related field.
- Competence and record of achievement in animal sciences and care in a research setting.
- Experience working with small and large animals.
- A thorough and demonstrable understanding of relevant legislation and regulations including:
- A critical thinker with demonstrated strong attention to detail.
- Sound administrative skills, including computer skills and laboratory record keeping practises.
- The ability work effectively within a small team and provide training and guidance.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian Citizens only.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Wednesday 7 December, 2022 (11pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.