Senior Chemical/ Thermal Engineer
Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Expertise in fugitive methane mitigation, thermal reaction, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and thermodynamics!
- Full-time opportunity with access to flexible working arrangements!
- Join CSIRO - Australia's National Science and Innovation Agency!
CSIRO’s Mineral Resources is one of the largest minerals research and development groups in the world, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain. We apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to deliver innovation that solves the challenging, complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders.
As a Senior Chemical/ Thermal Engineer you’ll be a part of the Environment and Sustainability Research working collaboratively on research projects in the areas of methane emissions abatement and carbon dioxide capture & utilisation. So, what is so exciting about this role? You’ll have the opportunity to manage an industry project on the full-scale development of a coal mine ventilation air methane (VAM) mitigation reactor and come up with innovative technologies to reduce methane and carbon dioxide emissions from hard-to-abate sectors.
Your duties will include:
- Managing a VAM project including project reporting, technical contribution, and efficient communication/engagement with various stakeholders
- Developing methane emissions mitigation and capture technologies
- Developing new processes and technologies for carbon capture and utilisation
- Develop challenging but realistic research plans and negotiate resource requirements with research managers or clients.
- Leading and supervising staff to ensure experiments are established in accordance with the research design and are completed within the agreed timeframes and budget.
Location: Pullenvale, QLD
Salary: AU$121k – AU$142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of up to 3 years/ Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD or equivalent years of relevant experience in fields such as chemical or thermal engineering
- Strong expertise in fugitive methane mitigation, thermal reaction, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and setting up laboratory scale rigs and pilot scale units including thermal reactor, combustor, safe ducting system, heat exchanger.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- Demonstrated leadership and project management skills to deliver research outcomes on time
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian/ New Zealand citizen, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian Temporary residents residing in Australia with full work rights till mid of 2026 with no visa sponsorship support from CSIRO.
Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
24 February 2023, 11:00pm AEDT