STEM Engagement Officer WA
Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
Mobilise & develop the best STEM talent for the benefit of Australia
Deliver online and face to face programs to teachers & students
Nurture & encourage STEM education through inquiry-based projects
Join Education and Outreach at CSIRO and genuinely make a significant difference!
Bring your passion for STEM, and Indigenous knowledge, to support teachers and students in implementing student-centred inquiry-based STEM projects in schools.To do this, you will deliver face-to-face training focused on connecting Indigenous knowledge to the classroom, including modelling the delivery of inquiry units in the classroom, answer teacher questions, facilitate the sourcing of materials, and support teachers to feel confident and be capable to deliver an inquiry-based learning approach.
This is a rewarding and positive opportunity allowing you to provide the tools schools require to make connections with local communities and form meaningful relationships while nurturing and encouraging student’s interest in STEM.
Your duties will include:
- The understanding and an ability to embed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge into the classroom and transferring this understanding to teachers.
- Establishing, maintaining, and fostering ongoing and culturally respectful relationships with diverse cohorts of students, schools, teachers, families, and the local community to support the engagement, uptake and delivery of the program.
- Communicating and building relationships with schools in the Pilbara and Perth regions in WA.
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with sponsors and other key stakeholders.
- Contributing to the development of teacher professional development resources on student-centred, inquiry-based STEM projects in an Indigenous context in schools.
- Managing and promoting participant enrolment in the digital learning experience, while proving support to facilitate the program’s implementation in schools.
Location: Perth or Pilbara regions, WA. Regular travel to the Perth and Pilbara region is required & occasional interstate travel.
Salary: AU $89,680 to $101,459 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term until December 2025
To be considered you will need:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and/or extensive relevant professional experience. A focus on Aboriginal and /or Torres Strait Islander people's education is desirable.
- A strong demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies, cultures, and the issues affecting these cultures in Australian society and a demonstrated ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Experience working with or developing education programs or resources in an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander context, including experience delivering teacher professional learning face-to-face.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and proven ability to establish and maintain strong and productive working relationships and networks with teachers, stakeholders, and other external and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrated project coordination skills and experience in managing multiple priorities with competing deadlines, as well as the ability to demonstrate initiative, self-motivation, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with ambiguity, successfully adapting to changing circumstances as well as the ability and willingness to find workable solutions to complex problems and resolve complaints using creativity, reasoning, past experience and sound judgement.
CSIRO is an Equal Opportunity employer working hard to recruit world-class talent that represents the diversity across our society. As part of our commitment to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander employment outcomes, preference will be given to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates who meet the role criteria. CSIRO conscious inclusion practices are intended to constitute a special/equal opportunity/affirmative measure undersection 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth).
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful candidate will be asked to obtain and provide evidence of a National Police Check or equivalent. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically deemed ineligible. Each application will be considered on its merits.
This role has child safety obligations. Accordingly, the successful candidate will be required to obtain or provide evidence that they hold a working with children check prior to confirmation of appointment.
The successful candidate will be required to provide contact details of at least one Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person to be a cultural referee to confirm their ability to work and communication respectfully with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples.
You will be required to hold a valid Australian Class C driver’s licence to travel.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
14 February 2023, 11:00pm AEDT