Business Development Manager, CSIRO Environment
Job Type: Full time
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join a supportive team in a hybrid working environment
- Support & enable the effective delivery of science outcomes & impacts
- Make a difference & address some of Australia’s biggest environment challenges
The Business Development & Global (BD&G) Business Unit are seeking an experienced and passionate Business Development (BD) Manager to join the team. As the BD Manager, you will partner with the Environment Business Unit at CSIRO to support and enable the effective delivery of science outcomes and impact.
This is a dynamic role that will see you working with a range of internal and external stakeholders to support the delivery of CSIRO strategic objectives. Success will see you engaging with customers, providing market validation, opportunity development, pipeline build and development, business model development, and delivering strategic partnership and commercial outcomes and transactions.
Your duties will include:
- Working with science teams to continue to build and maintain an up-to-date pipeline of industry engagement and commercial opportunities, ensuring accurate forecasting and rigorous follow-up to drive achievement of science impact and revenue targets.
- Developing and managing a portfolio of industry, Government (State and Federal) and other external stakeholder relationships aligned to BU and CSIRO strategy, business plans, and commercialisation objectives.
- Demonstrating a strong knowledge of both CSIRO and Environment BU strategies, policies, processes, systems, and tools. Using this knowledge to champion their application in areas such as strategy and program development, change management, governance, and pipeline management. Leading or contributing to business model innovation to support the BU and CSIRO to sustainably achieve our goals. Being a strong team player.
- Striving to continuously gain deeper insight into the relevant industry and/or environment sector, its needs, pain points, and emerging opportunities. Using this knowledge to help shape CSIRO’s engagement with our stakeholders and customers to guide BD and commercial outcomes.
- Proactively creating a portfolio of ‘trusted advisor’ relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and utilising these relationships to support BD activities and objectives.
- Where applicable, representing CSIRO at conferences, trade fairs and exhibitions. Coordinate and host visits from external organisations interested in collaboration with CSIRO.
Location: Canberra preferred a as a significant amount of Environment work will be liaising with Government.
Salary: AU$121,455 to $142,321 + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term until 30 March 2026
To be considered you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant area, such as Science, Engineering, Business, Management, or equivalent management/leadership experience in Environmental Science.
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills, including experience working with science, commercial or engineering staff and a proven ability to work with and influence quite different stakeholders across different levels, a strong team player.
- More than 5 years industry knowledge, sales or business development experience, including proven relationship building in a Federal and State government or corporate context.
- Demonstrated experience in providing BD leadership, developing business/ market strategy and delivering beneficial growth and change for organisations. Experience in change management.
- The ability to facilitate and drive collaboration across stakeholder groups, such as by leading workshops to deliver outcomes and ideas against a theme.
- Experience in representing organisations in public presentations and the initiative to seek out opportunities to present, engage and influence internal and external audiences where appropriate.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
15 February 2022, 11:00pm AEDT