Mechanical Engineer - Rail
Location: Brisbane, Maryborough
Job Type: Full time
Downer Rail and Transit Systems (RTS) is committed to providing the highest quality of Rollingstock & Overhaul services for both the local Queensland and wider Australian markets. Our capability allows us to offer turnkey solutions for complex projects and spans every project phase, from design and manufacture to through-life-support (TLS), condition monitoring and data analytics, fleet maintenance, operations and comprehensive overhaul of assets. RTS has an exciting opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer to join the Queensland Rail Alliance (joint venture with Queensland Rail).
About the role:
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the approval of engineering specifications, engineering reports, mechanical calculations, design layouts, production drawings and cost estimates.
The role is responsible for the requirements definition and development of reference designs for new Mechanical systems to be incorporated into a design baseline. The design produced should be safe, compliant, reliable and cost effective. The role supports procurement, planning, production, test & commissioning and maintenance. The role also requires development of integration plans for rolling stock and assurance of new systems and operating methodologies.
This is a full-time permanent position, and can be based in our Milton Office, Brisbane QLD, or at our Maryborough, QLD site.
- Complete design and analysis of rail vehicle components and systems
- Conduct design process reviews
- Ensure all designs comply with contractual requirements, specifications and standards
- Review suppliers design and work with them to ensure product supplied meets specification requirements
- Undertake preparation of engineering test procedures and test activities
- Ensure that designs are optimised to minimise overall cost and assess product cost in relation to project budgets during the design process
- Diagnose and correct failures and design deficiencies in existing rollingstock
- Provide technical direction to product service and support personnel.
- Degree qualifications – Mechanical Engineering or relevant equivalent
- RPEQ and/or NER accreditation (highly desirable)
- 3 – 5 years relevant experience in rollingstock design
- 3D CAD system experience (NX highly desirable)
- Familiar with Interiors Standards including AS1428 and DSAPT
- Strong problem solving skills
- Systems Engineering experience
- Safety Assurance experience.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to work within an energetic, highly skilled team
- The ability to work on key rollingstock projects with an industry leader
- Permanent full-time position with excellent career progression opportunities
- Competitive remuneration, with on-going training and support
- Employee benefits and wellness program
- An opportunity to make an impact with a growing and forward-thinking company
- A strong commitment to Zero Harm environment for all our employees and visitors
- An opportunity to work with an ASX Listed Company.
How to apply:
To apply for this opportunity please click the APPLY NOW button.
For more information about this position please contact Sarah Clark– Talent & Sourcing Business Partner – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will not be accepted via email, please apply via the link.
Employment with Downer is subject to a Pre-Employment Medical, and on-going drug and alcohol screening.
Downer Group is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity.
Downer does not accept any unsolicited resume referrals from Recruitment Agencies.