Mercury Business Advisor
Job Type: Full time
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
EY is carrying out a global business transformation which includes a global SAP implementation - known as Program Mercury. The Mercury Business Advisor (“MBA”) plays a key role to advise and support our client- serving engagement teams to make the best use of Mercury and its processes in order to effectively manage their projects with EY’s external clients.
The Mercury Business Advisor is a finance professional with end-to-end system, process and policy knowledge who provides the right advice when it is needed, and partners with other functions to address the issues facing the business as we transform how we operate.
The role is deployed based on the EY Service Line: Tax, Assurance, Consulting and Strategy & Transactions, and will provide support either in person or virtually.
Further, Mercury Business Advisors are closely connected to a broader network of functional experts (Risk Management, SAP Technical, etc.) as well as to their Service Line Finance Leaders. Together, this group teams to share knowledge and continuously improve the support they provide to the client-serving engagement teams.
As part of that relationship, the MBA will meet regularly with the Service Line team to perform analytics to identify partners/engagement teams requiring outreaches from the Mercury Business Advisor Team and provide a summary of ongoing conversations with those teams.
This role is offered on a full time permanent basis but we are open to part time applications [minimum 4 days per week]. This role can be based in our EY Offices across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Auckland or Wellington.
Your key responsibilities
- Providing end-to-end opportunity and engagement lifecycle advice to client engagement teams.
- There are two main components to this role:
- providing on-demand financial advisory support to engagement teams, reaching out through a variety of ways (phone or email); and
- proactive outreach to engagement teams that have been identified as needing intervention through financial metrics detect and exception reporting.
- This role requires individuals to:
- Review open queries from client servers, prioritize follow up activities and schedule engagement team meetings for the week.
- Spend scheduled time taking calls from client servers - which includes activities such as:
- Reviewing pricing plans
- Advising on service line GDS (offshore resources) leverage targets
- Screen sharing to show teams how to add a rate card to the price plan
- Ensuring engagement teams are properly prepared for client negotiations from a financial perspective
- Advising on how to select the correct client entity for opportunities
- Explaining downstream impacts of different user choices required by Mercury
- Provide instruction and guidance on estimate to complete (ETC) processes and corresponding financial impacts.
- Mercury Business Advisors are expected to:
- Have a good understanding of engagement economics, and to use strong analytical skills to determine the partners/engagement teams in need of outreach.
- Provide timely and accurate responses to questions from client servers, or escalate issues to the appropriate functional expert quickly and effectively.
- Team with others across Finance to work through project portfolios (e.g. book of business reviews) and advise client serving teams on how to adjust and improve their financials
- Provide guidance on local policy and leading practices
- Facilitate training for client serving teams on Mercury and effective financial management practices.
- Contribute to continuous improvement by sharing knowledge and providing support to other team members across borders, service lines, and industries and constantly leverage leading practices
- Coach/Problem solve with more junior Mercury Business Advisors to help develop their skills through job shadowing, advising, informal training
- Manage new user lack of knowledge and/or frustration - direct the user to the best outcome for them, leveraging strong soft skills and a global mindset to adapt personal style where needed.
- While overtime is not a requirement, individuals in this role are expected to recognize when extra effort/time is needed to produce optimal outcomes and manage the situation accordingly, working with peers and supervisors to balance workloads as necessary.
- June into early July represents the close of the EY fiscal year. As such, this is a problematic time to take vacation in the MBA role.
Skills and attributes for success
- Two years’ experience in a professional services environment in a financial/business capacity.
- A Bachelor of Business, TAFE Diploma in Accounting or equivalent qualification is desirable but not essential.
- Management accounting experience desirable but not essential
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook and Internet Explorer
- A fluent and effective communication style in English
- A strong ability to learn quickly and share knowledge
- Excellent listening skills, combined with the ability to apply judgment and seek guidance when escalation to a functional expert is appropriate
- A logical approach to problem solving
- Highly effective virtual teaming and influencing skills
- Strong knowledge of financial metrics and dependencies including ability to calculate variances quickly and accurately.
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Strong communication and partnering skills with people of all levels of the firm
- A professional approach, demonstrating tact and diplomacy
- An ability to prioritize workload and deliver outputs within strict deadlines.
- A desire to self-educate and seek additional knowledge by staying up to date with the firm's policies, processes and tools.
- An ability to build relationships and stay connected with the business and functional experts.
We hold a collective commitment to foster an environment where all differences are valued and respected, practices are equitable and everyone experiences a sense of belonging. If you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application via firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +61 3 8650 7788 (option 4).
We understand the importance of social distancing at this time so our recruitment and onboarding process may be managed virtually so we can continue to prioritise the safety and wellbeing of EY people, clients, guests and the broader public.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
What we offer
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Continuous learning: personalised career development including coaching, experiences and formal learning so you’ll develop the mindset and skills you’ll need to thrive in the future.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
At EY, you’ll be rewarded and recognised based on your performance and our comprehensive benefits package can be tailored to your individual needs.