Senior Manager - Technical Accounting - US GAAP - Financial Accounting Advisory Services
Job Type: Full time
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
The opportunity - Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Canberra
In a fast-paced, and increasingly complex world, our clients need us to help them navigate complexity. They are seeking commercially sound, practical and technical compliant accounting solutions; reliable financial statements; and timely, reliable and insightful information, to underpin their current business activities and inform their ongoing strategies. More than ever, business is about interpreting complex data to provide relevant insights to manage and mitigate business risks and capture strategic opportunities. Our clients look to us for guidance and services they can trust.
As a senior manager in our Financial Accounting Advisory Services team focused on our Enhanced Corporate Reporting and Accounting (“ECRA”) and Transactions service offerings with a focus on US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“US GAAP”) reporting, you will work with a wide range of clients, including middle market businesses through to some of the world’s largest companies and SEC reporting entities, to provide practical, hands-on support, guidance and solutions to address their financial accounting and reporting challenges. You will work collaboratively with finance teams to provide support on:
- accounting standards interpretation, implementation and application;
- existing and potential transactions (both local and cross border transactions) working alongside our Tax, Transactions, and Consulting colleagues), including transaction structuring, assisting clients in preparing their filing documentation (including pro-forma accounting, MD&A, and internal controls disclosures), and ongoing financial reporting support;
- financial reporting processes and disclosures including the design, assessment and/or implementation of the Sarbanes-Oxley (“SOX”) framework;
- stakeholder reporting and management;
- and other regulatory changes.
You will combine deep technical accounting and reporting knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”), Australian Accounting standards (“AAS”) and US GAAP, with your commercial and practical experience in financial accounting and reporting, and deep sector and regulatory knowledge and insights. Our aim is to build meaningful partnerships with Chief Finance Officers, their finance teams, and wider business representatives to make the complex simple and create long-term value, trust, and confidence within their organisations.
Your key responsibilities
- Proactively lead all aspects of engagements including planning, approach, stakeholder management, commercial engagement outcomes, resourcing, and risk management
- You will work collaboratively with our clients on a wide variety of engagements including:
- Assessing the impact of proposed new or revised accounting standards on an entity’s business and financial accounting and reporting and assisting them to practically interpret and implement the changes
- Assisting in the ongoing practical application of current accounting standards and other accounting requirements/policies to a wide range of transactions – including but not limited to: long term contracts, lease arrangements, customer contracts, cloud computing, funding and risk management arrangements, power purchase agreements, sale and leasebacks, risk sharing agreements such as joint ventures and more
- Working as an integral part of the client’s deal team across the transaction’s lifecycle (including pre deal and post deal) to evaluate potential transaction structures to provide insights on the potential accounting impacts and outcomes, e.g., IPO, de-SPAC, equity/debt raising, acquisitions, divestments, and financial buy-side and sell-side due diligence. We also assist in the post deal implementation related accounting and reporting matters.
- Assisting on the design, development, implementation and/or maintenance of accounting policy manuals, individual policy updates or standard operating procedures, including benchmarking of policies and analysing the impact of different accounting policies
- Assisting clients in preparing for external audits or providing audit remediation support services
- Developing and delivering tailored training or educational workshops
- Building and maintaining high performing teams, coaching, and mentoring team members
- Stay informed of new developments (e.g., changes in regulatory and economic environment, accounting standards// FASB interpretations) and their potential accounting and reporting impact on clients
- Contributing to the development of professional literature and thought leadership on contemporary accounting and finance matters in an insightful and practical context.
Skills and attributes for success
To qualify for this role, you must have:
- A minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience
- Knowledge of, and experience in financial reporting in accordance with US GAAP including previous relevant SEC and SOX reporting experience (either in an industry role for a US GAAP reporter or as an auditor/ advisor), knowledge of other GAAP’s would also be useful
- Excellent leadership and project management skills with a proven ability to execute under pressure and balance various competing priorities at once
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- A degree in accounting and/or another appropriate academic major
- A demonstrated ability to effectively assemble and lead diverse teams over different geographies in an inclusive manner
We hold a collective commitment to foster an environment where all differences are valued and respected, practices are equitable, and everyone experiences a sense of belonging. If you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application via email@example.com or phone +61 3 8650 7788 (option 4).
We understand the importance of social distancing at this time so our recruitment and onboarding process may be managed virtually so we can continue to prioritise the safety and wellbeing of EY people, clients, guests and the broader public.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
What we offer
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Continuous learning: personalised career development including coaching, experiences and formal learning so you’ll develop the mindset and skills you’ll need to thrive in the future.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
At EY, you’ll be rewarded and recognised based on your performance and our comprehensive benefits package can be tailored to your individual needs.