Principal Highways Engineer
Job Type: Not Specified
Requisition ID: 84934
Job Category: Engineering
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining, energy, and infrastructure, our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
Our expertise in infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
Our Infrastructure business is experiencing growth due to a pipeline of high-profile projects and future workforce planning requirements. Due to this growth, we are looking for an experienced Principal Highways Engineer to lead our Sydney Highways team.
The Principal Highways Engineer provides support to the Director of Infrastructure and is responsible for supervising a team of Civil Engineers and Designers. The candidate will provide leadership and assistance in the resolution of technical issues related to the discipline.
The successful candidate will be required to define and develop a plan to meet various project requirements in conjunction with Project Managers and manage the team of civil engineers and designers to achieve the expected results in terms of quality, cost and schedule.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Planning, organizing, and leading projects teams in the delivery, design, and documentation of project requirements;
- Lead contract negotiations including variations, claims and commercial disputes, and ensure fulfilment of contract negotiations;
- Project management and technical civil lead on various multi-discipline project;
- Providing support to business development and strategic initiatives, including preparation of proposals;
- Monitor output to ensure all of the teams’ work is completed to a high technical standard, within agreed budgets and timeframes, and in compliance with Hatch’s Business Systems;
- Developing new and maintaining existing client relationships;
- Mentoring and development of technical staff;
- Provide vision and leadership to team members;
- Hiring and expanding the team;
- Liaising with other business sectors leaders within and outside of the organization; and,
- Approval of employee time, expenses and other management functions needed for day-to-day operations.
You will bring to the role:
- A relevant degree in Civil Engineering;
- Extensive industry experience as a Civil Engineer recognized by Clients at state level;
- Assist other staff in team situations and actively share technical knowledge and expertise;
- Understanding of design and analysis of roads, freeways, intersections and drainage;
- Ability to both work as an individual or in a multidiscipline team with minimal supervision;
- Flexible in attitude and ability to both lead and direct a small team of technical staff;
- Sound knowledge of Australian Standards in current engineering and construction principles, methods and practices; for TMR, Vicroads, TfNSW and with Australian Standards;
- Track record of delivering complex multidisciplinary projects on time and to budget.
You will be registered with Engineers Australia or other relevant country registration; have experience and interest in business development initiatives, and in the development and maintenance of client relations. The successful candidate will also be proficient in the use of Bentley, 12D and other drafting/design software along with the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all levels of staff and clients and with excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Why join us?
- Work with great people to make a difference
- Collaborate on exciting projects to develop innovative solutions
- Top employer
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
As an accredited Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (WGEA) and Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Within Australia, this includes supporting and encouraging a flexible workplace and a comprehensive benefit offering. If you have any special needs requirements, please discuss with us and we will do our utmost to accommodate your request.