Job Type: Full time
- Hybrid working model and focus on work/life balance
- Sydney or Melbourne based with a supporting inclusive culture
- Professional educational support
Jemena is an Australian energy company who own and operate more than $11.5 Billion worth of gas and electricity transportation assets across Australia supplying millions of households and businesses with these essential services every day.
Jemena is certified as a Family Inclusive Workplace. We are also an endorse employer of Work180 - Jobs For Women. We are passionate about what we do, and we are proud of who we are. Our people are our greatest asset so having various flexible working options, paid parental (primary & partner) leave and leave purchase plans amongst many other benefits, is a key foundation to our success.
Overview of our role:
The Legal Counsel position exists to provide legal services to SGSP (Australia) Assets Pty Ltd (SGSPAA) group businesses (Jemena and Zinfra).
The legal services for which this position is responsible include:
- Partnering with the SGSPAA business to deliver strategic, commercial outcomes
- Negotiating, drafting and providing advice in relation to SGSPAA's corporate and commercial arrangements
- Identifying legal risks in transactions and advising on appropriate mitigations
- Providing legal advice and undertaking research in relation to legal aspects of commercial, compliance matters, as well as providing assistance with operational and strategic matters, from a legal perspective
- Legal project management
- Assisting the SGSPAA business to manage litigation and commercial disputes
- Managing the interface between external counsel and the business
- Assisting with drafting and reviewing policies, procedures and reports
- Contributing to broader corporate business improvement processes in connection with legal services.
Expertise that will be highly regarded:
- experience in advising electricity and gas businesses in Australia or similar infrastructure businesses;
- interest in developing expertise in electricity and gas networks; and
- experience advising on property related transactions
- commercial and contract drafting and negotiation.
The position forms part of an in-house legal function which provides legal services to Jemena Electricity Networks and Jemena Gas Networks in an efficient and cost effective manner as a business partner, and also builds and retains relevant knowledge and expertise within the group.
This Legal Counsel position is intended to operate unsupervised for business as usual (BAU) legal matters, but with the expectation that the Legal Counsel is able to identify matters/issues which are outside of their experience and skill set and consult with Lead Counsel, colleagues, and external law firms as required.
For non-BAU matters that are strategically important, including material litigation and other major projects that require Board approval the Legal Counsel will work under the supervision of Lead Counsel, as determined appropriate by Lead Counsel.
- Bachelor of Laws or equivalent law degree
- Eligible to be admitted to practice law in NSW or Victoria
- A minimum of 4 years' legal experience (post admission) providing legal advice on corporate and commercial matters, energy, regulatory or infrastructure more generally
- A working knowledge of dispute resolution models, approaches and practices
- Solid legal experience negotiating, reviewing and drafting legal documentation including contracts
- In-house legal experience and familiarity with issues affecting gas and electricity infrastructure will be highly regarded
- Legal experience in interpreting and advising on utilities-related legislation and contracts, in one or more Australian jurisdictions, will also be highly regarded
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
Jemena is an Aboriginal word meaning 'to hear, listen and think'. We understand the value of a diverse workforce, the ability to work from home, and have committed to creating real employment opportunities through our Reconciliation Action Plan. We look forward to receiving applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
When you join Jemena, you become part of our diverse, inclusive, flexible and passionate team. We are a team that celebrates International Women's Day, NAIDOC Week, International Day of People with Disabilities and many other days that matter to our people. Come join us!
Notice to Third Parties: Jemena does not accept unsolicited resumes (or liability associated with fees or costs) from recruitment agencies, search firms or third parties.