Software Engineer - Innovation
Kmart Australia & NZ
Job Type: Full time
K MART Australia Ltd
Brighter futures start here
At Kmart it’s not just what you do, it’s who you are that makes every day living brighter.
You’ll be joining a diverse team who come together to collaborate globally around tech. With six purchases made every second, you’ll feel the impacts of the work you’ll do for our millions of customers every day. We’re focusing on being a customer-led, digitally enabled retailer. Our teams are working with really cool tech from AI/machine learning, IoT, cloud first solutions, to 3D virtual reality product checks and human sized robots named Tory. Join our team, choose your own path and work on projects that excite you.
Join the team
Kmart has created its first Innovation Squad, that will lead the development of new initiatives by building and creating ‘first of their kind’ technology in retail. This team will transform the way Kmart interacts with their customers in the future through the digitalization of stores, Robotics, AI, and Automation.
Kmart is seeking to radically improve the retail experience in coming years, with the work of the Innovation Squad. This team will take new ideas and concepts from the problem scoping phase right through to validated products.
We are looking for a Software Engineer who thrives on innovation, creativity, problem solving, and who wants to work in an environment where ideas come to life.
What you’ll be doing
This isn’t your standard Software Engineer role. You’ll have the opportunity to not only build and code using exciting new tech, but you will be influential in the design and concept phase of new initiatives for Kmart.
You will be experimenting with different types of tech to revolutionise the retail experience for Kmart. Your work will impact teams across Stores, Merchandise, Inventory, Supply Chain and Digital.
You will get the opportunity to collaborate with team members in store and test out ideas with them at different instore locations like Richmond and Bourke Street.
To be successful in this role you’ll have:
We are looking for someone who likes to tinker with technology, is continually seeking new ways to solve problems, and is excited about modern engineering practices.
- Full stack experience building web applications
- An experimental approach when it comes to design, prototyping, hardware, and coding
- Exposure to building cloud application across different platforms including AWS and Azure.
- Experience working on design-led, innovation projects
- Physical/Digital prototyping experience would be desirable using tools such as Arduino, Raspberry PI, Node-RED, etc. Open to different tools as well!
- Experience creating Proof of Concepts and MVP’s is also advantageous
If you don’t tick all the above dot points, but you feel this could be the right role for you, we’d still love you to apply!
Perks and benefits we’ll offer you:
- Flexible working – you’ll choose when and where you work.
- We’ll provide multiple ways for you to learn from online micro-credentialing in Udemy, support to gain certifications to tech community events and more.
- Great career opportunities across the broader Wesfarmers Group.
- We offer inclusive leave and ongoing support for team members of all backgrounds and family circumstances.
- Free onsite parking when you’re required to come into the office.
- We want you to feel rewarded for your commitment and hard work that's why everyone gets the opportunity to participate in a bonus program.
- A team member discount card that gives you a discount at Kmart, Target, Bunnings, and Officeworks.
- A free OnePass membership offering free delivery across Kmart, Target & Catch on eligible products.
- Access to the Kmart for You benefits program which entitles you to exclusive discounts and benefits in the areas of entertainment, travel, lifestyle, and health – with over 60 suppliers!
- Reflection room, space for prayer, meditation, or time for yourself.
- Wesfarmers is Kmart’s parent company and each year eligible employees can elect to purchase shares through a salary sacrifice arrangement.
A place you can belong
At Kmart, we celebrate the rich diversity of the communities in which we operate and are committed to creating inclusive and safe environments where all our team members can contribute and succeed. We believe that all team members should feel valued, respected, and safe irrespective of your gender, ethnicity, indigeneity, religious beliefs, education, age, disability, family responsibilities, sexual orientation and gender identity and we encourage applications from all candidates.
We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to be their best, when applying for a role or working at Kmart. We encourage you to tell us about any workplace adjustments that you would like, by emailing [email protected]
Excited about this role, but not sure if you meet 100% of the criteria? We would still love to hear from you and encourage you to apply.