IT Business Analyst
Location: North Sydney
Job Type: Contract/temp
IT Business Analyst
- Sharpen your business analysis skills in a stable and successful “essential service”
- Get on board to modernize core system at the heart of Australian freight rail icon
- Elevate your career as the IT Business Analyst for massive railroad systems modernisation project
- Innovate within a progressive and supportive environment with next gen technology
- North Sydney based 12 month contract
Pacific National is committed to diversity in our workforce and encourages women and First Nations people to apply.
About the role
In the disruptive world of heavy freight logistics, the traditional competitive advantage of rail freight – the physics of steel wheels on steel rails that delivers such a huge friction/energy advantage compared to rolling rubber – is under constant threat by new technologies. Against this background, Pacific National is embarking on the largest transformation of its systems landscape in 25 years. At the centre is a monolithic legacy Transport Management System (TMS) that must be decoupled into domains served by new COTS or purpose-built solutions. As this transformation will involve changing both business processes and supporting technologies, finding optimal IT solutions and orchestrating their introduction into the beating heart of a 24x7 railroad is not a trivial task.
Reporting to the Project Manager, the Business Analyst – LMS Replacement is responsible for developing an understanding Pacific National’s rostering business processes and how they operate, examining existing business processes, identifying gaps in processes and opportunities for improvement, capturing requirements, developing functional and technical requirements and proof of concept solutions, and supporting design, testing, implementation and deployment of new processes, applications and technologies in Coal, Bulk and Intermodal business units.
The role of the IT Business Analyst requires the capability to engage with senior IT and Business stakeholders, working within the project team in a hands-on manner, resolving a wide range of project issues and playing a key role in driving project delivery to the Business through all phases of the project lifecycle. Suited to a Business Analyst who likes to get his/her “hands dirty” and is a big picture thinker, this critical role will help shape the company’s future strategic direction.
Key responsibilities include:
- Elicit requirements using a range of techniques: interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task, and workflow analysis
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyse information needs and functional requirements and deliver the artifacts as needed including Functional requirements, Technical specifications, Use Cases, GUI, Screen and Interface designs, Test cases/scripts and Training materials
- Data Migration requirements and gathering
- Work independently with users to define concepts and requirements
- Collaborate with solution architects, developers, and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision
- Develop communications and change management approaches to ensure stakeholders are fully informed of and aligned to changes
- Monitor all projects in the pipeline and work with project managers and delivery teams to manage issues and mitigate risks
- Collaborate with the Application and Infrastructure teams to manage stakeholder expectations by ensuring timely review of all project exceptions
- Ensure that all IT project work uses and conforms with the Pacific National IT Project Management Framework and any supplementary processes.
With proven business analysis skills and significant experience preparing detailed business cases, you will have ideally worked for a large business and have gained exposure to integrated applications in a Rail, Transport or Logistics industries. Customer focused and results oriented with a passion for excellence and proven ability to deliver to customer expectations, you will be an excellent communicator skilled at presenting information effectively to a diverse audience.
You will possess the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Computing Science, Information Technology, Engineering or a related field
- Strong technical experience in designing cloud-native solutions (AWS or Azure)
- Experienced in Oracle database technologies, security methodologies and ideally with operational technology (desirable not essential)
- Experienced in developing business, technical and transformation requirements (User Stories)
- Experience working in agile development teams with exposure to legacy system modernisation programs.
We value diversity, inclusion, collaboration and the contribution of each of our employees. Working for us will enable you to take ownership of your career and gain access to the following benefits:
- Opportunities for growth and career development
- Access to mentoring programs
- Opportunities to join our I&D employee committees
- Recognise, celebrate and achieve via our Achievers program
- Flexible working arrangements
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for primary carer at full pay following 12 months of service
- Opportunity to purchase additional annual leave
- Provision of Salary Continuance Insurance
- Novated leasing and discounts on selected health insurance funds, travel, gyms, retail brands, vehicles and more
- We are proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for women.
Pacific National (PN) is the largest provider of diversified rail freight services in Australia. We haul a variety of freight including coal, intermodal containers, steel, and a range of bulk commodities and materials that keep the region’s economy, businesses and households running. We operate nationally with approximately 3,500 staff in over 90+ sites across Australia.
Join us as we continue to transform our business and shape the rail freight industry, to achieve our vision of becoming Australia’s recognised leader for safe, innovative and sustainable rail freight solutions.
We are seeking applicants who share our values: Make it simple, Share more, Kindness, Gratitude, Curiosity, and Own it. These values help us achieve strong connections with everyone we work with, and play an important part in motivating us all to do our best work.
Applications close on 7th February, 2023.
Are you ready to be part of our future?
To apply, please click on the 'Apply' button below and follow the prompts.
To find out more about Pacific National, our benefits and opportunities we offer, visit our careers page: www.pacificnational.com.au/careers
Home Safely Every Day – Pacific National’s top priority is getting you home to your family safely every day.