Senior Engineer Secondary Systems
Job Type: Full time
Powerlink is a leading Australian provider of electricity transmission services, delivering safe, cost effective and reliable solutions. Our purpose is to connect Queenslanders to a world-class energy future, providing electricity to five million Queenslanders and 238,000 businesses.
Our people strategy focuses on balanced leadership, values diverse backgrounds and fosters a culture of inclusion.
At Powerlink, we are an equal opportunity employer and proud to be a Work180 Endorsed Employer for Women.
Providing employment opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People is also an important part of our commitment to Reconciliation.
Are you a specialist electrical engineer passionate about using your Secondary Systems Design expertise to monitor and protect our HV & EHV transmission system?
About the role
One of Powerlink’s key drivers is to become the renewable energy super grid of the future and a leader in the transmission industry.
The Senior Engineer Secondary Systems provides technical leadership and expertise in the electrical discipline of secondary systems in a transmission environment.
The role acts as the first point of contact for all design, scope, budgeting and timing issues relating to secondary systems and protection systems infrastructure and equipment, to ensure that project outcomes are achieved for both internal and external clients.
In this role you will be:
- Responsible for all aspects of the secondary systems design component of a project lifecycle from scoping and estimation through to post-commissioning.
- Provide technical leadership, support, coaching and training to Secondary Systems team members.
- Supervise the secondary systems design process including approval of designs and associated design documentation and drawings as an RPEQ.
- Provide technical input to the production and maintenance of technical specifications and standards for design, associated equipment and infrastructure delivery.
- Assist with the management of the external consultants engaged to provide secondary systems design support in order to ensure that cost and quality standards are met.
- Perform Owner’s Engineer role for outsourced projects.
To be successful in this position, you will have relevant and extensive experience in high voltage secondary systems design (circuitry and protection schemes). You will also hold a Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) degree and be a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ) in a relevant field of expertise for this position.
The following capabilities are essential for the role:
- Extensive knowledge in the areas associated with HV & EHV secondary systems design and be competent with secondary systems circuitry design associated with various HV and EHV protection schemes.
- Sound knowledge of secondary systems equipment and manufacturer’s construction and maintenance practices in a high voltage substation environment.
- Experienced in LV AC and DC distribution design including cable selection and protective device coordination, metering design, operational wide area network (OpsWAN) design and substation auxiliaries.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to coach, mentor and motivate team members.
- Effective time management and task prioritisation skills across multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Advanced technical specification and report writing skills.
- Ability to plan and deliver technical training packages.
If you see yourself in this opportunity, then we want to hear from you!
To apply please click on the Apply button to be taken to our careers page to start the application process, attaching your resume and cover letter responding to the ‘About you’ section above.
Please monitor your email for further communication regarding the progress of your application.
Applications close on Midnight Sunday, 5 February 2023.
If you would like to find out more about this opportunity or to request a copy of the position description, please reach out to the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
The Senior Engineer Secondary Systems provides technical leadership and expertise in the electrical discipline of secondary systems in a transmission environment. The role acts as the first point of contact for all design, scope, budgeting and timing issues relating to Secondary Systems and Protection Systems infrastructure and equipment, to ensure that project outcomes are achieved for both internal and external clients.
At Powerlink, we offer:
- Family friendly and flexible working arrangements
- 14 weeks paid parental leave - at full or half pay
- Substitution of Public Holidays
- Bright, open office layout
- Free undercover parking and charging stations for electric vehicles
- Access to a corporate health plan with employee discounts
- Annual flu vaccinations
- Onsite gym facilities
- Access to an employee assistance program
- Various other forms of leave that support you to support your community
Our attractive employment terms and conditions are enhanced by a broad range of benefits including, salary packaging novated lease vehicles, and access to an onsite credit union and cafeteria.