Motor Mechanic [Heavy Vehicle]
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Job Type: Full time
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
C10 - C7Salary: $60,185.00 - $72,064.00per annum
Strategy & Corporate Services
South East Region
Location:Brisbane and Yatala
Closing Date:Midnight Sunday 28 May 2023
- Current QFES employees and Volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
- For further information regarding the Role Description or to apply please click on the APPLY ONLINE button below.
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the role
The Fleet Delivery team leads fleet operations, fleet strategy and mechanical services and provides repairs and maintenance of fit for purpose heavy, light and medium commercial fleet vehicles and associated equipment to all members of QFES. Through the full lifecycle management and best practice approach to fleet and equipment management, we ensure all assets and equipment are managed strategically and maintained to meet the complex environment in which they are deployed and utilised, and to meet operational capability and organisational objectives.
Reporting to the Supervisor, you will be required to conduct repairs and scheduled maintenance of QFES fire appliances, pumps, systems and associated equipment to ensure they meet operational capability and comply with the requirements of the Heavy Vehicle National Law and Regulations, the Queensland Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Road Rules) Regulations 2009 and the Queensland Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 (the Act). You will also be a required to complete job sheets and data entry to meet service delivery requirements, as well as adhere to workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
Highly desirable requirements
- Current Medium Rigid drivers' license (or ability to attain prior to appointment).
- Possession of trade certification qualifications as an Engineering Tradesperson - Level 1 Motor Mechanic (Heavy Vehicle Stream), and/or skills and knowledge as a tradesperson in heavy motor mechanic environment.
- Skills, knowledge and/or qualifications in similar light vehicle trades will be considered, and with the intent that the applicant would update their certifications if successful.
- Provide an after-hours rostered on-call service for the provision of urgent maintenance/repairs for fire appliances/heavy vehicles and equipment.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Undertake servicing, repairs and maintenance of fire appliances, including associated ancillary equipment and systems to ensure they comply with the heavy vehicle legislation, regulations and the Act.
- Service and/or repair, or maintenance of firefighting systems/pumping systems and other associated equipment to meet the manufacturer's specifications.
- Competently and safely use hand and special tools and electronic diagnostic equipment, ensuring all work is carried out in compliance with Workplace Health and Safety requirements.
- Participate in ongoing manufacturer and in-house training to maintain competencies and operate in a team environment.
- Diagnose faults, including electrical for fire appliance fleet repair and maintenance, including use of electronic diagnostic equipment and/or road tests.
- Perform tasks involving the use of computers and or electronic devices, update parts inventories, parts listings and job sheets via an electronic Fleet Maintenance System.
- Communicate with the Workshop Supervisor regarding the general condition of fire appliances and associated equipment at the completion of each maintenance exercise.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual Contributor (leading self)
- Stimulates ideas and innovation
- Makes insightful decisions
- Builds enduring relationships
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact David Lloyd, Manager Mechanical Services on phone 0404 087 916 or email email@example.com.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide [All PS Classifications/Streams and Senior Officer] for information on how to apply for this role.