Support Officer (State Emergency Service)
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Job Type: Contract/temp
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Temporary Flexible Full-time
Tenure Period:Until 30 June 2023
Possibility of Extension:Yes
$2,622.30 - $2,909.80 per fortnight
Readiness & Response Services
SES - BRISBANE
SES - BRISBANE REGION
Midnight Thursday 2 February 2023
Current QFES employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the role
The SES is the primary responder for storm and flood events and provide support to other agencies such as Queensland Police Service through performing additional functions including search and rescue, emergency traffic management, and road crash rescue. The SES becomes involved in preparing for, and responding to, many different types of disasters and emergencies.
As the Support Officer [SES] you will be responsible for providing high level confidential administration services to support operations activities, staff and volunteers. You will set priorities and monitor workflows to manage the functions of human resource and finance administration, and records and database management. You will also be required to coordinate SES medal and award nominations, official functions, diary management and/or secretariat duties as required, and monitor for compliance with policies and procedures to ensure efficient and effective service delivery to meet regional objectives.
Highly desirable requirements
- Government purchasing qualifications (level 1).
- Knowledge or experience in the use of human resource and finance systems and database management and reporting.
- Experience as a volunteer or working in a volunteer environment.
- It is expected that the incumbent will participate in an out of hours on call roster during emergency operations. This may require work outside of normal hours (e.g. night shift), including weekends, working extended hours and may include deployment to other parts of the state or interstate.
- The incumbent will be appointed as a staff member of the SES and the hours of duty applicable to this role are pursuant to the Queensland Public Service Officers and Other Employees Award – State 2015: specifically, the spread of ordinary hours for SES staff are 0600 to 2200, Monday to Sunday.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Provide high level administrative support, including assisting in the preparation, review and coordination of correspondence, reports and other materials in accordance with departmental requirements.
- Undertake general office duties, mail distribution, filing, diary control, travel arrangements and functions, maintenance of office equipment and asset records to ensure the effective management of the office.
- Respond to enquiries from staff and volunteers relating to uniforms and equipment, which includes receipting, ordering and system maintence to ensure records reflect correct status and items are dispatched.
- Coordinate and process training records, human resource and finance administration activities, including end-to-end administration process for SES Volunteer memberships, ensuring compliance with departmental policy and procedures.
- Liaise and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including members of the public and volunteers to support key processes, procedures and delivery services.
- Utilise databases to create, update, analyse and report on business activities and provide operating support to ensure compliance and effective maintenance of records and access to information.
- Prioritise workload effectively and perform duties responsibly in the absence of supervision using a high level of initiative to resolve issues and provide recommendation for continuous improvement.
- Undertake support and administrative duties during emergencies and disasters which may involve short-notice activation and rostering outside of business hours.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual Contributor (leading self)
- Stimulates ideas and innovation
- Makes insightful decisions
- Builds enduring relationships
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact Mark Dole, Regional Director, Brisbane on phone 0400724505 or email email@example.com.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide [All PS Classifications/Streams and Senior Officer] for information on how to apply for this role.