Specialist Category - Operations
Job Type: Full time
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources. We produce commodities including bauxite, alumina, aluminium, metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead, zinc and copper from our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. With a focus on growing our base metals exposure, we also have two development options in North America and several partnerships with junior explorers around the world.
The Opportunity – Permanent, Full Time Position
This role provides specialist advice and executes Category Management activities in line with specified guidelines and business requirements to safely and sustainably increase productivity, lower costs, manage risks and unlock organisational value.
Reporting to the Supply Manager – Worsley and Under guidance of the Category Principal- Local Sourcing Worsley, key role accountabilities include:
- Drives cross-functional outcomes through collaborative engagement and influencing underpinned by deep sourcing expertise and end-to-end category and contract management
- Works collaboratively with our Planning, Projects, Operations and Functional Teams to develop and execute a robust Sourcing Plan while addressing the future needs of the business
- Responsible for (but not limited to) for supporting the delivery of initiatives within a broad portfolio of categories under the instruction and guidance of the relevant Category Lead
- Contributes to an inclusive culture that strives to drive value and innovation
- Executes sourcing activities (including tender preparation and management) and contract negotiations, in alignment with Supply standards and procedures
- Identify and drive value adding initiatives across the business for the benefit of the organisation
- Supports the Category to source goods and / or services to ensure business continuity and optimal commercial outcomes
- Undertakes sourcing activity within the Category team:
- Develops and executes category and sourcing strategies that minimise supply risk to the business, optimise cost and contribute to process automation
- Assisting with and/or leading commercial contract negotiations with vendors for strategic contracts
- Engaging with key stakeholders across the business to seek endorsements & approvals
- Monitoring existing contracts and the portfolio of suppliers supporting the business ensuring optimal usage & performance against business expectations
- Completing required internal documentation and approvals in accordance with South32 standards and policies
- Executes activities that contribute to the Local Procurement Plan.
- Develop, maintain, and share market intelligence regarding vendors and innovation applicable to operations
- Collects requirements and analyses key data inputs from multiple sources (internal and external) to build robust category and sourcing strategies
You will be required to have the following:
- Experience in developing commercial strategies and leading negotiations
- Sound understanding of financial and business concepts to analyse and maximize commercial contracting outcomes
- Minimum of 5 years in a Commercial/ Supply environment, Mining & Metals will be preferred.
- Min 12 months strategic sourcing or category management experience
- National Diploma or advanced certificate in business, commerce, finance engineering or related disciplines preferred
- Competitive Salaries
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- Incentive bonuses
- Additional employer superannuation contributions which depend on the level of employee contributions you choose.
This role will be based at our Worsley refinery with occasional travel to our Boddington Bauxite Mine.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Please note this job add will close on the 2nd of November 2022