Job Type: Full time
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources. We produce commodities including bauxite, alumina, aluminium, metallurgical coal, copper, lead, manganese, nickel, silver and zinc from our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. With a focus on growing our base metals exposure, we also have two development options in North America and several partnerships with junior explorers around the world.
The Opportunity – 3year Fixed Term Position
The Senior Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the engineering service provider delivers on their scope of work and provides timely deliverables to facilitate the procurement process through the project study phase, while also ensuring the Design and Construction (D&C) contractors allocated to each package deliver on their scope of work and provide adequate technical advice and documentation to support the work package.
Reporting to the Area Manager – Engineering Contracts, key role accountabilities include:
- Support and maintain a safe and healthy workplace that adheres to South32 policies and other applicable laws, regulations, and standards for the workplace, ensuring that all new items of plant and equipment are designed for safety and all work is executed in a well-designed way and consistent with the South32 standards for environmental management.
- Provide leadership, technical advice, and guidance to the project team.
- Contribute to the project strategy, direction and goals ensuring alignment with the South32 Business Strategy.
- Document the project stakeholder’s requirements and manage the project consistent with those requirements.
- Work collaboratively with the Global Supply team to integrate the project activities with the project in a way which achieves the best outcome for South32.
- Ensure safety systems (e.g., Safety in Design) used by the project team and D&C contractors are consistent with South32 policies.
- Work to promote cultural integration and alignment of the project team.
- Facilitate any engineering changes required to integrated systems and procedures.
- Attend project, working group and committee meetings as required. Work to become an integral part of the South32 functional structure.
You will be passionate and committed to workplace safety and process improvement. You will be interested in working for an organisation that embraces the diversity each person brings to the workplace.
You will also be required to have the following:
- 10+ years of experience in major project development and execution in mining and heavy industry.
- Broad exposure to operating facilities and coal mines or other major industrial undertakings.
- Proven project management skills associated with the management of major mining and heavy industry projects.
- Previously demonstrated visible safety leadership and positively influencing the Contractors’ culture that embraces value adding, people-based safety and accountability
- Ability to work at the strategic level and engage effectively with senior business leaders.
- Demonstrated ability in project controls and contract management & administration.
- Ability to think, work and act independently with general or directional guidance from executive level.
- Strong and effective communication, engagement and leadership skills to work at all levels of the business adjusting approach to audience.
- Exceptional relationship building skills: demonstrated empathy, emotional intelligence and cross-cultural effectiveness.
- Strong problem-solving skills, demonstrating objective and critical thinking.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills; able to communicate at all levels in the organisation, with a proficiency in English.
- Advanced computer literacy and business software skills.
- Tertiary Qualification in Engineering
- Business Degree or master’s degree or related post graduate qualifications or commensurate industry experience
- Competitive Salary
- Incentive bonus
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Additional employer superannuation contributions which depend on the level of employee contributions you choose
This position will be based at the Appin mine which is in the southern coalfields of New South Wales, near the coastal city of Wollongong and approximately 75 kilometres south and southwest of Sydney.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Applications close 27th January 2023