Environmental Field Technician
Job Type: Full time
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
Located on the tropical Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory, GEMCO is a South32 Company, the operation is accountable for over 20% of the world’s manganese ore production. Groote Eylandt is home to the Anindilyakwa people, who are the traditional owners of the land and have been working alongside GEMCO since 1963.
What we offer you
- Competitive salary and annual bonus scheme
- FIFO from Darwin/Cairns to Groote Eylandt
- Family-friendly roster – 4:3 Monday to Thursday (day shift)
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Ongoing training, education assistance and career development
- Excellent facilities including gyms, beachside workout area, swimming pool, golf course, tennis and squash courts, sports oval and scenic walking tracks
- Additional superannuation contributions
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan.
About the role
This is a permanent full-time role on a 4:3 roster, FIFO Darwin or Cairns.
Reporting to the Environmental Superintendent, this permanent role has a varied range of responsibilities geared towards the support and execution of environmental projects and programs at GEMCO. The successful candidate will perform work primarily in support of environmental monitoring activities and management programs while ensuring strict adherence to the South32 safety standards.
Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Environmental monitoring (including, but not limited to, air quality, dust, noise, surface water, groundwater, marine monitoring)
- Providing support for biosecurity, biodiversity, waste, and rehabilitation management and monitoring programs onsite
- Collection, processing and dispatch of environmental samples, ensuring consistency, quality control, and accurate record keeping as required
- Maintenance and calibration of environmental monitoring equipment, including ensuring adequate inventory of environmental sampling consumables
- Collection, collation of environmental data, data entry and database maintenance
- Maintaining regulatory compliance for all field and site-based activities in accordance with GEMCO and South32 commitments
- Assisting external contractors / consultants with field work activities as required
- Complying with all relevant health, safety, environment and risk standards, procedures, and routines, and assisting with updating of relevant documentation as required
- Maintaining good housekeeping in your work areas
- Reporting on the status of all assigned tasks on a timely and regular basis
- Developing positive and effective working relationships within the GEMCO Environment Team, and across key departments and relevant external stakeholders.
To be considered for the role, you will have:
- A recognised qualification in a relevant area (e.g. certification in environmental studies, field technician / field assistant)
- Manual Class C drivers licence
- Experience in the execution of environmental monitoring programs, including understanding of QA/QC
- Ability to undertake field work activities throughout the year in a tropical environment
- Previous experience in working in a mining or other heavy industry environment (desirable)
- Intermediate computer skills
- Competent in the operation and handling of small boats (recreational or commercial licence)
- Ability to contribute proactively to a positive safety culture.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered, and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
If you're good at what you do, you can work anywhere. If you're the best at what you do, come work at South32.
Please note this job advert will close on Tuesday 7th February 2023.