Commercial Market Engagement Specialist
Location: Brisbane City
Job Type: Full time
We are a major provider of electricity and energy solutions to Queensland, the National Electricity Market and large energy users throughout Australia.
We’re creating a new, lower carbon generation portfolio that’s complemented by energy storage, we’re driving the development of a renewable hydrogen export industry in Central Queensland and we’re keeping the lights on as the State’s energy industry transforms.
While our energy future is not defined by our coal-fired generation, our transformation will be supported by it.
We own and operate two of the most efficient coal-fired power stations in Australia - the Tarong power stations near Kingaroy, and Stanwell Power Station west of Rockhampton. We can ramp generation from our coal-fired power stations up and down as needed, to let solar generation shine in the middle of the day, and still provide the electricity people need in the mornings and evenings. We also own Meandu Mine, adjacent to our Tarong power stations, to provide low-cost fuel for the station.
We’re putting our energy into finding better, cleaner ways to reliably generate, store and move electricity for our customers. Through our pipeline of proposed renewable energy projects throughout central and southern Queensland we’ll reduce our emissions intensity and create future opportunities for our people and communities. We’re also leading Australia’s renewable hydrogen industry, with plans progressing to develop the country’s largest green hydrogen export hub in Gladstone, Central Queensland.
We care. We adapt. We deliver. These values are the driving force behind everything we do. As we continue to serve our communities and deliver the power Queensland needs, we’ll contribute to the achievement of Queensland’s emission reduction targets and we’ll achieve year-on-year reductions in our emissions intensity.
At Stanwell, we provide the spark for a bright future. That future starts now.
About the role
The Commercial Market Engagement Specialist role will be supporting the Commercial Manager - Origination and Innovation in delivering enhanced / diversified corporate gross margin for the short, medium and long term.
This will be achieved by supporting Stanwell’s commercial innovation and origination activities as follows:
- Innovation – development of business relationships with new technology / product proponents in order to develop commercialisation pathways for future opportunities; and
- Origination – deliver business renewal and expansion / diversification of revenue streams through origination of market opportunities and development of new and existing markets and relationships.
Central to these activities are the identification of new opportunities for Stanwell and the subsequent development, implementation and close out of effective strategies to capitalise on these opportunities. Such opportunities may relate to new or existing industries, fuels and technologies and will require an innovative approach to ensure successful delivery
Located in Brisbane, this is a permanent opportunity to work with some of the best future energy innovators.
To be successful in this role, we are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Tertiary qualification in Economics, Commerce, Finance or Engineering.
- Post graduate qualification in Economics, Commerce, Finance or Engineering is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years’ energy market experience coupled with extensive electricity industry knowledge.
- A strong instinct for value and the ability to take a holistic approach in assessing potential value creation from a diverse range of opportunities and engagements.
- The ability to engage with a diverse range of project proponents with the ability to clearly and effectively articulate Stanwell’s business drivers.
- Knowledge and experience in the origination and application of ACCUs, CERs and other available carbon abatement products.
- Demonstrated understanding of the battery energy storage market including lithium-ion and longer duration storage.
- A solid understanding of the Australian electricity and renewable markets and the ability to identify and assess the implications of industry changes and identify market opportunities.
How to apply
To submit your application, please apply online with your CV and cover letter.
Applications Close: 11:55pm, 12 October 2022
Please note it is a requirement that all successful candidates complete pre-employment checks.
Further information on Stanwell can be found online at www.stanwell.com
Inclusion and diversity is an important part of shaping Stanwell’s culture and how our workplace operates. We recognise and value that it’s essential to creating a safe, inclusive and productive workplace.
We are proactive about giving our people opportunities to excel and truly be themselves. We enable this through diversity, fairness and flexible work practices.