Speciality Chef | Sushi - Sokyo
The Star Entertainment Group
Job Type: Full time
With its own fusion of uber-cool ambience and eclectic energy, Sokyo is an experience unlike any other.
Awarded One Chef’s Hat for 11 consecutive years by the Sydney Morning Herald’s Good Food Guide, Head Chef Chase Kojima and his team use the finest local produce to create an imaginative Japanese-inspired menu.
As the Speciality Chef you will be helping lead our busy sushi pass of up to 250 covers while maintaining high standards of service. This is an opportunity to be mentored by some of the best chefs in the industry, learn new techniques and be part of the culinary team of The Star Sydney!
What can we offer you?
- Permanent Full-Time role with permanent benefits including annual leave
- 30% Discounts across award winning restaurants and accommodation
- Lifestyle discounts including gym memberships and laundry services
- FREE buffet meal, sandwich, and salad bar with a new menu every day at our Employee Dining Room
- Free light rail from Central to The Star and $10/day parking available on property
- Uniforms prepared and ready for you daily on property
- Joining an established and large Food & Beverage team, with endless career growth and opportunities to learn and develop your career
The ideal candidate will have:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications, such as Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- At least 5+ years working experience within high-end Japanese restaurants and skilled in the art of sushi making (including maki rolls, nigiri and sashimi)
- Confidence in advising guest on menu items and make recommendations
- Omakase experience preferred, not crucial
- Strong understanding of Japanese produce, culinary techniques, and kitchen equipment
If you have an appreciation for Japanese fusion cuisine and helping create amazing guest experiences, then look no further and join our team!
At The Star, we’re committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that we know will contribute to exceptional experiences for our guests, a great place to work for our team members and positive outcomes for our communities. We welcome applications from all cultures, ages, religions, genders, LGBTIQ+ people, Australia’s First Nations Peoples, and people with disabilities. We offer a range of flexible working options for team members to find the balance between work and life that’s right for them and their unique well-being needs.
The Star is a Founding Partner and Major Corporate Partner of Women in Gaming and Hospitality (WGHA) and is recognised with a Gold Award 2022 by the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) which evaluates LGBTIQ+ inclusiveness in the workplace.