Cost Estimation Analyst
Location: Remote - AU/NZ only
Job Type: Full time
- Exciting opportunity to join a reputable company with great employee benefits
- Collaborative and supportive culture + a great career pathway
- Permanent full time role | EAP | Fitness Passport
Who we are
At Transgrid, our work improves the lives of millions – from lighting up sports fields, schools and homes, to powering the wheels of commerce and everything else in between. Now it’s your turn to make it happen.
Transgrid offers fulfilling careers for driven people who can help ensure that our business and the essential services we provide to consumers, the community and key stakeholders are continually improving. With us you will thrive in a collaborative environment where new ideas and knowledge sharing are encouraged, and where you’ll be supported through opportunities to develop and achieve your full potential.
This is an exciting time in the energy industry with the transition to renewable energy. Recent government policy documents outline plans to facilitate increasing transmission interconnection between states and development of renewable energy zones.
A fantastic opportunity has become available for a Cost Estimation Analyst to assist with the management and documentation of estimating systems, databases and tools. The project estimating data is heavily relied upon by other stakeholders to prepare capital and operating cost estimates for projects, customer connections, non-regulated works, asset replacement strategies, major operating projects and non-network projects.
In the role you will provide analysis and insights into the performance of the estimating systems and provide guidance, training and support to users of Transgrid’s estimating systems. You will also provide analysis and high level estimates to support the business in managing its investment decision making processes.
We are looking for a specialised professional with demonstrated experience in a similar profession role within the engineering or consulting industries. If you have proven high-level understanding of estimating and estimating processes and experience with contract management of external consultants and contractors then read on to know more!
As a Cost Estimation Analyst you will:
- Contribute to the management of the Transgrid Estimating Database (TED) and source and review new data on a continuous basis, and initiate system and process changes when required, including
- Validate new data and make recommendations for TED cost and component library updates
- Develop and make recommendations for new estimating assemblies and embedded spreadsheets
- Identify, review and make recommendations for changes to TED elements
- Validate estimating database performance via independent benchmarking on an annual basis.
- Develop, maintain, document and provide the relevant database rate inputs to enable estimates to be undertaken
- Prepare analysis reports in accordance with database administration procedures, including annual recommendation reports on TED performance and TED cost and component library updates
- Analyse project cost performance and review risk estimation performance, identify gaps and make recommendations for modification TED cost and component library performance and risk estimating procedures
- Contribute to the assessment of impact of new TED data to existing and future projects within the capital portfolio, including dynamic assessment of the changes to the portfolio
- Assist the Transgrid “System Administrator” for the TED, including performing some “System Administrator” role functions
- Work collaboratively with asset managers and strategists, assist in the preparation of report on the performance of capital projects / programmes and the capital portfolio, and as required by management to support relevant needs
Skills & Experience
To be successful in the role you will have:
- Tertiary qualification at degree level in an engineering discipline, project management, construction management, quantity surveying or related field
- High standard of interpersonal, communication and report writing skills, personal integrity and professionalism
- High level problem-solving and analytical skills, including the assessment and costing of complex projects
- A strong focus on detail and accuracy, balanced with the ability to work quickly, under pressure and to deadlines
- A strong commercial focus to costing of projects
- Understand new concepts, particularly across disciplines, and translate their implications to existing systems
- Experience in Corporate IT applications including:
- Estimating or similar databases
- Risk evaluation software
- Microsoft suite of automation tools (MS Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
The following would be highly regarded:
- 2-4 years’ experience in the management and/or use of estimating systems for major capital works, or 2-4 years’ experience in project management
- Relevant legislation, Australian Standards, Transgrid Policies and Procedures, regulatory frameworks and Government policy guidelines, which govern the implementation and cost of transmission line and substation projects.
- Investigation, design, scoping, costing or project implementation for transmission line and substation projects.
- Use of RiB’s MTWO software and Palisade @Risk software
- Performing statistical analysis
In return for your hard work, we have numerous benefits and initiatives to support you personally and professionally including but not limited to private health insurance discount, motor vehicle lease plan, career development support, study assistance program and workplace flexibility.
Join us and make it happen for your career, and for the millions of Australians who rely on our services every day.
Applications close on Friday, 30 September 2022
Please note, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change, we will assess applications as they are received.
We do not accept agency introductions as Transgrid operates a direct sourcing model.
Transgrid is committed to Health and Safety, the Environment, Equal Employment Opportunity, Diversity and Ethical Practices. All applicants are expected to demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to these areas