Location: Remote - AU/NZ only
Job Type: Full time
- Diverse, flexible & dynamic working environment
- Award winning organization
- Based in Ultimo
- Access to corporate discounts | EAP | Fitness Passport
An exciting opportunity has become available for an Estimation Manager.
The Estimation Manager is responsible for managing project cost estimation for all regulated and non-regulated business. This position is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing estimating systems, databases, and tools to maintain the accuracy of project estimates and provide technical assistance to Transgrid bid managers.
The role requires business acumen, insight, and agility to respond to competitive pressures and to hand over complete, accurate, appropriate, and affordable projects for delivery. The position reports to Manager of Engineering & Design, and manages, coaches, mentors, and leads a team of engineers and analysts.
As an Estimation Manager, your main duties will be:
Project management and reporting
- Schedule project estimation activities to maximise efficient use of resources and the timely delivery of recommendations and reports
- Develop and implement plans to mitigate output delivery risks
- Provide clear and concise performance analysis of scope, cost, timing, and risk estimation on completion of projects, focusing on improvement opportunities
- Provide budget information and cost spreads for capital projects in the pre-delivery phase
- Utilise TransGrid processes and systems to complete project capital and operations and maintenance cost estimates, including:
- Implementation of TransGrid estimating database and associated estimation tools for prescribed and non-prescribed projects throughout project lifecycles
- Implementation of support tools and development of models for the assessment and costing of project risk
- Utilise existing estimating system databases and tools to maintain accuracy of feasibility study estimates
- Provide benchmarking services for major capital works, major operating projects, and asset replacement projects
- Support Asset Management to improve and maintain the estimation database and associated tools, including;
- Develop and deliver training to enable employees to utilise the estimating database
- Maintain effectiveness of tools for interfacing the estimating database to other business systems (such as Ellipse)
- Identify system improvements to develop the estimating database as an effective estimating management system
Relationship and stakeholder management
- Maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including TNSPs, DNSPs, suppliers, and major customers
- Gain and maintain a national and international reputation in capital delivery, estimating for major works, and cost control
Policies, standards, and risk management
- Identify, develop, evaluate, and review procedures and task instructions for all estimating systems and project scoping processes
- Manage the implementation of procedures and task instructions
- Ensure procedures and task instructions are consistent with international best practice and meet Transgrid’s strategic objectives
- Contribute to industry and discipline development including development and implementation of policies and standards for cost estimation
- Ensure project development teams understand and assess all project work within a risk based framework
- Ensure all enterprise and project risks are considered and mitigation methods costed and applied
- Under direction of Manager of Engineering & Design, provide input into business planning for the Project Development groups
Staff management and team development
- Provide active input into the development of performance and development plans
- Development and implementation of training programs to impart skills and knowledge as part of succession planning
- Play an active role in motivating the team to achieve their potential and drive a high performance work culture
- Assist with fostering a continuous improvement culture in the team to develop and maintain currency and flexibility of staffing capabilities and skills set in order to meet deliverables
Skills & Experience
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in an appropriate discipline or equivalent relevant experience
- Subject matter expertise in commercial project estimating
- Extensive knowledge of the high voltage transmission industry and industry reform objectives
- Proven business acumen and planning skills in project management and estimating
- Proven ability to manage a team of technical specialists and professional staff
- Proven ability to develop staff through providing guidance, mentoring, and coaching
- Proven performance in engineering project management in the energy industry
- Demonstrated ability to assess needs, evaluate systems, create processes, and develop standardised systems
- Strong conceptual, intellectual, and strategic ability, capable of clear innovative thought processes and solutions to complex issues
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills coupled with an understanding of emerging technologies and stakeholder expectations
- Several years of experience in project management, project scheduling, and project estimating
- Extensive experience with project estimating software systems
- Negotiation and presentation skills to effectively deliver presentations to management
Recognition & Reward
In return for your hard work we have numerous benefits and initiatives to support you personally and professionally including but not limited to private health insurance discount, motor vehicle lease plan, career development support, study assistance program and workplace flexibility.
Continue to make it happen for your career, and for the millions of Australians who rely on our services every day.
Who we are
At Transgrid, our work improves the lives of millions – from lighting up sports fields, schools and homes, to powering the wheels of commerce and everything else in between. Now it’s your turn to make it happen.
Transgrid offer fulfilling careers for driven people who can help ensure that our business and the essential services we provide to consumers, the community and key stakeholders are continually improving. With us you will thrive in a collaborative environment where new ideas and knowledge sharing are encouraged, and where you’ll be supported through opportunities to develop and achieve your full potential.
This is an exciting time in the energy industry with the transition to renewable energy. Recent government policy documents outline plans to facilitate increasing transmission interconnection between states and development of renewable energy zones.
Applications close on 14th October 2022.
Please note, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change, we will assess applications as they are received.
We do not accept agency introductions as Transgrid operates a direct sourcing model.
Transgrid is committed to Health and Safety, the Environment, Equal Employment Opportunity, Diversity and Ethical Practices. All applicants are expected to demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to these areas.