Staff Customer Response Engineer
Location: Melbourne, Southbank, Sydney
Job Type: Full time
Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
VMware Cloud on AWS (VMC) delivers a faster, easier, and cost-effective path to the hybrid cloud while allowing customers to modernize applications enabling faster time-to-market and increased innovation.
Are you a problem solver, who enjoys complex issues, requiring deep analysis, systemic troubleshooting, and fast execution? Do you enjoy learning new and evolving technology? If the above resonates with you, consider joining the Global team of Customer Response Engineers. As a customer response engineer you will work on complex customer-initiated incidents, initially triaged by VMware’s Global Support team. You will be the expert, who will pinpoint the impacted service component and will work with the Eng Service Owner on customer remediation and problem management.
Being in the center of all complex issues coming from VMware’s customers, you’ll serve as a liaison between engineering and customer-facing teams to develop high-quality solutions to meet customer expectations. You’ll use a data-driven approach to identify product defects and improvements, whilst also improving the capabilities of the Customer facing responders. You’re looking for an opportunity to work for a company whose software is utilized by every Fortune 500 company and significantly impacts every industry. You want to be a part of a collaborative environment whose teams care about the Customers and product we are creating, how they create it, and the impact it has on customers’ business objectives.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- Within 30 days complete new-hire onboarding, security, and compliance training, and begin shadowing the team.
- Come up to speed and learn how to function independently as a Staff CRE.
- Become proficient in VMC Core component troubleshooting triage/remediate.
- Within 60 days contribute towards the improvement of automation and product reliability.
- Within 90 days join our follow-the-sun on-call rotation and leverage your deep technical understanding of auxiliary VMC components along with the core. (datacenter networking, vSphere, NSX, vSAN, and AWS) to resolve incidents.
- Be ready to lead and mentor one day, be ready to act in support of a peer on another day, as conditions change across the service team.
- You must be adaptable, think fast on your feet, have good instincts based on prior experience, and be ambitious to take on more responsibility.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Address critical concerns from VMConAWS platform customers, which require VMC Eng component/product expertise
- Identify and resolve issues impacting our customers while working closely with engineering teams on making the services more reliable and scalable
- Collaborate with Service owner to improve Automation and internal Operator Tools.
- Identify opportunities to improve the product through bugs and feature requests to the engineering service owners.
- Look for opportunities to enable GSS technically as well functional.
- Work closely with software engineering teams to improve availability of services
- On Call support for high priority incidents
- Ensure infrastructure security compliance
What will you bring to the role?
- DevOps mindset
- Strong problem-solving and analytical trouble-shooting skills with an aptitude for continuous learning of new technologies
- Identify, gather, analyze key performance metrics, logs, and alerts
- Passion for solving complex issues running real customer workloads across cloud and on-prem environments
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to articulate complex technical issues to non-technical audience
- Participate and contribute to post-mortems to analyze and prevent repeat failures
- Operational experience with networking (WAN or LAN) and an understanding of network theory
- Proficient in a common scripting language: Bash, Python, Go, Ruby, etc.
- Domain level understanding of Public/Private Cloud Infrastructure & Networking
- Experience with VMware products: vSphere, vCenter, ESX/ESXi, vSAN, and NSX
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Karthikeyan Dhayalan, Senior Manager in the VMC Customer Response Engineering team. Karthik joined VMware 2+ years ago and has 17+ years of Industry experience leading global teams and delivering business values.
The team consists of highly competent engineers working as a close-knit group. The leadership team is laser-focused on evolving and maintaining a culture of inclusiveness, honesty, and transparency. We believe engineers are the most valuable asset of our company and team. We put extra emphasis on providing a great work-life balance.
Where is this role located?
Flexible: The role is considered flexible and will be a mix of working from a local VMware office and remote depending on your preferences and the arrangements determined with your future manager. You will be expected to live within a reasonable commute of the office.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Site Reliability
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2022-09-30
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.