Senior UX Designer
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
We’re looking for a Senior UX Designer to lead on delivering intuitive, customer focused experiences designed across desktop and mobile. The role will work as part of a cross-functional team alongside technical squads, Product Managers, Subject Matter Experts and other UX disciplines, in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment, delivering continuous value across agile sprints.
As a member of the Digital Customer Team, you’ll be in good company working alongside a multi-disciplinary team with expertise honed at recognized leading brands.
We require a designer that can hit the ground running, working on big idea and day to day delivery. Contributing to the product direction and producing designs, experimenting, researching, and refining deliveries with engineers.
This role will focus on supporting new digital innovation strategies, operating flexibly to respond to opportunities as they develop. The ideal candidate has a combination experience of agency and client-side experience and works efficiently within time constraints, independently and as part of a team.
- Experience implementing research methods; usability testing and user interviews. We’re looking for someone who can identify what information the project requires and twin this with appropriate methods and activities. We also have UX Research that can support activities.
- Ability to design and simplify complex user journeys/ flows
- Experience utilising and translating customer research and feedback
- Ability to lead on UX design from flows to wireframes, using collaborative design tools, with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to support parallel workstreams that operate in a fast-paced agile environment, whilst understanding the importance of timely delivery
- Proven record designing best practice experiences, using a mix of design capability and collaboration
- Demonstrate brand consistency, working with design systems and aligning design output to global guidelines
- Collaboration on sprint planning, leading on UX priorities and requirements with Product Managers
- Experience empathizing with and representing the user during the design process
- Naturally proactive, identifying and proposing continuous improvement across current and new projects
- Proven experience with facilitation of customer research and User-Centered Design methods. Utilising output to propose solutions that address user pain-points and support key metrics
- Understand the need to balance user needs with business goals and technical capabilities
- Good understanding of code and can communicate with developers to convey UX led ideas
- An understanding that the design phase is only part of the process
- Degree in UX Design, Interaction Design or related field
- Working as a senior UX Designer, on a large ecommerce environment preferred (or similar)
- Excellent communication skills to convey design ideas and requirements
- Experience with Figma, Zeplin, design systems, Sketch or similar
- Experience working with external vendors and/or agencies in an agile environment, whilst understanding the value of an iterative process
- Comfortable communicating with stakeholders at all levels
We are looking for a proactive individual that demonstrates the drive and desire to deliver projects to a high standard.
As part of our UX recruitment process, it is important that we can review candidate current and past work. Please include a link to your portfolio and prototypes which reflects a strong understanding of UX research, interaction and the requirements above.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible package including 158 days full paid maternity leave which will increase for subsequent children.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.