Senior Full Stack Engineer - (React, Java & AI)
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So, if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
We are on a mission to completely transform the issue management function and introduce industry leading capabilities in this space that will create better customer and colleague experiences. In this role, you’ll be leading the technical development for our initiatives with a focus on getting results quickly, building partnerships across product and engineering groups. In addition you will also be building capabilities that improve our detection time and response to operational risk events. You will have the opportunity to work with innovative technologies such as Spring Boot, React.js, Machine Learning models in python and so much more.
- Taking your place as the technical lead of an agile team and driving the latest development practices
- Collaborating with Subject Matter Experts to understand and estimate and prioritise the requirements
- Designing solutions that are scalable and can be delivered iteratively to maximise business value
- Writing code and unit tests, reviewing other team members’ code
- Integrate with APIs provided by different teams in American Express
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Technical Leadership of a team of engineers
- Improving the development tools and processes to maximise developer productivity and aim towards continuous delivery
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- 8+ years of strong hands-on experience in Java and experience with backend or middle ware processing
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing large scale platforms with high resiliency, availability, and reliability
- Strong experience in applications with high throughput, performance and security
- Experience with micro services architectures and service mesh technologies is preferred
- Strong written, verbal communications, presentation skills, leadership, problem solving and analytical skills
- Proven collaboration skills along with the ability to influence without authority
- Hands on experience in the following environments is preferred: Java, REST APIs, Spring Boot Framework, ReactJS, Redis, OpenShift, Elastic Stack, Kafka, Spark, UNIX/Linux
- University Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or related field required; Advanced Degree preferred
- Financial Industry Domain Knowledge
- Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
- Experience in building scalable distributed systems
- Seeks continuous improvement by considering solutions that make novel use of existing ideas, approaches, technologies or products
- Keep up to date on current research and technology in the industry
- Debug software components, identifies, fixes and verifies remediation of defects
- Proven ability to deliver complex projects iteratively and reliably
- Identifies novel approaches for completing work assignments more effectively or efficiently and works within the "established" system to push for "a better way"
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to document technical content
Enterprise Leadership Behaviours:
- Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
- Bring Others with You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
- Do It the Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards. We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com